High Calcium/No Magnesium, High Moly 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Zepro Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0w-20 with fantastic results.
It's price has gotten too high where i'd like a good alternative.
It has only calcium detergent, no magnesium. I don't have a direct injection vehicle or turbo, so magnesium seems unnecessary if not a hindrance.
It also has high moly, albeit likely not trinuclear moly.

So, i'd like an alternative that has only calcium detergent and relatively high moly. Trinuclear preferred. Full synthetic preferred. 0W-20 preferred, but may consider 5W-20.
I realize this may not be readily available as most major brands are doing the SN+/Dexos Gen2 thing.
So, maybe the question can be answered in 2 parts:
1. Best oil that fits that description that can be purchased reasonably (~$30/5qts) through any means.
2. The closest option that is readily available at Walmart/National Autoparts stores for 5qts.

I am doing oil analysis after every oil change, so this will be a decently controlled experiment and I can post results.

Doesn't zerpo EM 0W20 have high Noack also? iirc, their 5Wx30 Noack is %14.x ... I considered the 5W30 once but the Noack was too high for that price!
Like the high moly.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Doesn't zerpo EM 0W20 have high Noack also? iirc, their 5Wx30 Noack is %14.x ... I considered the 5W30 once but the Noack was too high for that price!
Like the high moly.

Extremely high NOACK and a very high VI.

Originally Posted by Davejam
I have been using Zepro Eco Medalist Advanced Moly 0w-20 with fantastic results.
It has only calcium detergent, no magnesium. I don't have a direct injection vehicle or turbo, so magnesium seems unnecessary if not a hindrance.

So, i'd like an alternative that has only calcium detergent and relatively high moly. Trinuclear preferred. Full synthetic preferred. 0W-20 preferred, but may consider 5W-20.
I realize this may not be readily available as most major brands are doing the SN+/Dexos Gen2 thing.
1. Best oil that fits that description that can be purchased reasonably (~$30/5qts) through any means.
2. The closest option that is readily available at Walmart/National Autoparts stores for 5qts.

I am doing oil analysis after every oil change, so this will be a decently controlled experiment and I can post results.

Please expand on the "fantastic results" you have achieved.

Originally Posted by Donald

The engine continues to operate
grin.gif

Both Castrol and Kendall called, they'd like to talk to you about this love affair with moly!...‚

Last edited:

He's in Florida so it won't rust out. In 2039 he can do a teardown inspection with pics.
Of course the guy using WalMart oil would likely have the same results....

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Like the high moly.

Extremely high NOACK and a very high VI.

This is true, but so what? Have not experienced any loss of oil, dipstick stays at the same line on 8,000mi oil changes.

I mean i didn't want this to degrade into a debate on whether my results are good or not.
So, generally what I mean is that Fe levels are below 10ppm, Aluminum 3ppm, other wear metals non existent. Stays in viscosity grade, good TBN (>3.5). All that on 8,000mi oil changes on car with over 100k mi.
Is that fantastic, I think so, but lets not debate that, lets get back to the question at hand.

I mean i didn't want this to degrade into a debate on whether my results are good or not.
So, generally what I mean is that Fe levels are below 10ppm, Aluminum 3ppm, other wear metals non existent. Stays in viscosity grade, good TBN (>3.5). All that on 8,000mi oil changes on car with over 100k mi.
Is that fantastic, I think so, but lets not debate that, lets get back to the question at hand.

Do you have a analysis you can post?

Wait, that one above is not cheap. Amazon sells it for a kinda high price. Not too bad though.
You're right, everything I can think of for cheap has gone over to SN Plus and/or dexos1 for low calcium.
Magnesium with a small amount of Calcium is actually pretty good though.
Bargain is the walmart Mercedes 229.71 spec 0w-20, the Castrol gold jug Extended Performance 20,000 mile rated oil there. The Mercedes spec is quite tough, more so than dexos1 for example.

The only oils I know of that fit your description are not cheap. HPL BAS series of oils are very high moly and calcium with a moderate amount of secondary ZDDP, PAO/POE base oils, available in 0w-20, but is also ~$14/qt.

HPL Bad Ass Racing 5w-30 rerun PROPRIETARY.jpg

Originally Posted by PimTac

Do you have a analysis you can post?

+1

I want to see the uoa.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Mazda 0W-20 Moly oil? - (made my Idemitsu I believe). On Amazon & dealers.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think this is identical to the Idemitsu product i'm using, under different label, and i don't see that it can be had for a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by paoester
This one has the SN, SN-RC, and GF-5 spec. It is an all-Group3+ base oil package.

Eneos has made good products, but they seem to be hard to get and/or expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back