what makes syntorq so special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be the name. I mean...with a name like "Syntorq" it has to be unique.
grin.gif

-

Syntorq is a synthetic GL4. Shift stand tests revealed mineral based fluids were found to generate unacceptably high heat levels in some recent generation heavy duty transmissions. NVG worked directly with Castrol to develop this fluid to address OEM specification for some GM and DCX trans they produce. The factory fill for life requirement coming out of the OEM legal departments drove this.

That probably explains the fear factor, at least for shops that recognize the underengineered internals along with the warranty issues in these gearboxes.

thanks Acewiza. It's not just GM but Ford, Chrysler, Merc-benz, ZF, mitsubish and others that insist on it. Like you said for lifetime fills and problem solving mostly.

What originated my interest was my buds 94 1 ton cummins nv4500 transmission needs it. He called every transmission shop in town and did hours of research online, concensus was don't substitute. One shop was even an amsoil dealer!

He ended up buying it here: http://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500 Parts.htm

Price was enough below the dodge dealer that it was worth the hassle. I was kind of steering him to SF ,RL or amsoil. But I don't blame him for not wanting to chance it.

That NV4500 is an interesting beast. Not a bad transmission at all. But under the force of towing heavy loads behind the powerful Cummins, exihibited some strange behavior until they got Syntoq running in them. Trans fluid temps were not getting disturbingly high, yet they were being eaten up for some reason. The tests I alluded to above showed the excessive heat being generated at the gear faces in microscopic proportions. Not enough to overheat the fluid, but enough to damage the gears. Somehow they got the Syntorq to cure this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back