Used hatch or new rear glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my aunt has owned a 2000 Hyundai Elantra wagon since new. Has almost 200,000 miles on it. Has been dealer maintained it's entire life except for a few times I've worked on it. Someone through a brick through the rear glass and none of the glass companies can get ahold of the glass anymore. I found one on eBay for $287. I have never tried to replace glass except in doors. So should I buy the glass or would I be better off just buying a whole rear hatch door from the salvage yard....if I can find one ...‚ if or I could maybe get the glass from the junk yard not sure how hard it is to remove glass from a hatch. My thought are it's probably not real easy.
She is giving me the car she was going to donate it but I showed interest so she said I can have it. So it's free it's in decent shape. And the misses can drive it while she's pregnant and it'll be a lot easier for her to drive than the dart.

How is the glass mounted? Is it glued in or rubber mounted? Or is it simply hinged and opens separate from the rear trunk lid?

Best bet is to get a good used one and see if any area installer can do it. Unless you can find a place that can get the measurements and have one made.

Try car-part.com its a website linking salvage yard part inventories together. You should be able to find one cheaper then the ebay one

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
How is the glass mounted? Is it glued in or rubber mounted? Or is it simply hinged and opens separate from the rear trunk lid?

Best bet is to get a good used one and see if any area installer can do it. Unless you can find a place that can get the measurements and have one made.

It's got a rubber moulding around it and does not open.

See if a junkyard has a hatch glass you can get - but removing a bonded-in piece of glass must be done very carefully or you will break it. I'd vote for

Originally Posted by atikovi
FB20044 $80 at Mygrant glass with 50 locations throughout the country.

It more than likely will be Chinese glass. And if so, FYG is the best of that bunch compared to XYG/PGW and Benson. You will need moldings but for a 20 year old Hyundai they might be NLA from the aftermarket or dealer. You might have to live with the installer's choice of universal molding.

Just call around to the local glass shops. They can just as easily get used glass from the junkyard and quote you an installed price. Call a few shops and go with the most competitive quote. Everyone else is making it much harder than it has to be. The chains might not install used but the small shops will.

Originally Posted by atikovi
FB20044 $80 at Mygrant glass with 50 locations throughout the country.

What is Mygrant glass and how does a consumer order glass through them?

I cannot figure out Mygrant glass company the only place I have found it is car-part.com I cannot even find a local company that can get it.

Originally Posted by Fitter30
Pick and pull type salvage yard

01.gif

Safelite is only interested in selling mass market available glass. Find a good local glass shop, ask them to find it, if they can't and you can, they'll install it for you.

A free, good, well maintained beater is worth the initial outlay to get it going.

Also, see if you can get it fixed on the original owner's insurance.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Safelite is only interested in selling mass market available glass. Find a good local glass shop, ask them to find it, if they can't and you can, they'll install it for you.

A free, good, well maintained beater is worth the initial outlay to get it going.

Also, see if you can get it fixed on the original owner's insurance.

This issue is no glass shop around can get ahold of the glass.
My aunts insurance would cover it but nobody can find the glass.
If I could find the glass or even a whole hatch I'd be down to fix it . But no one has it. Pick in pull and u pick a part don't either. Crazy how difficult it is to find

I looked up windshieldstogo.com and they have a back glass listed for your car
smile.gif

They are kind of like a Rock Auto of glass. They are just a broker that connects with a bunch of installers throughout the country. Yu pay them online thru their site, then they call you to arrange the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back