YouTube Finish Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
This fellow is doing a very nice test of numerous car finish products. He's sectioned-off and labeled some car hoods, applied numerous products and lets them sit outside. Every month, he checks the results. He's got a couple tests underway now. One is almost 2 years going and the other is 3 months into it.

Indeed yes, there are flaws in the procedure but the overall approach is in the right spirit. It appears he's being careful about proper application and being unbiased overall. The results are interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-oXcXNFwM2x8WX9VTBid4w

Enjoy...

Oh, BTW... In this guys demonstration with 42 samples on one panel, he's testing Collinite 845 and 915. I wish he included the 476 because that's the most durable of the three and its my personal favorite of the old-fashioned paste waxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUWACA_nMY

BTW: Hands down, it seems that the ceramic coatings are beating the traditional waxes. -To be expected I supposed... I'm still undecided about switching to ceramic coatings. With a traditional wax, I like knowing there are easy ways to strip it off and start all over. With a ceramic, it takes a moderately aggressive correction to get it all off. I avoid full-blown corrections at all cost.

Thoughts???

No Fusso Coat Soft99, or did miss it? I guess there is only so much room on that hood.
smile.gif

Interesting experiment though.

Really hard to see with the lighting and such. While these tests provide some good information, having such small test areas makes it harder to evaluate especially on video.

I was expecting more sheeting. With the hood panel being upright as it was, beading should be minimal.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Really hard to see with the lighting and such. While these tests provide some good information, having such small test areas makes it harder to evaluate especially on video.

I was expecting more sheeting. With the hood panel being upright as it was, beading should be minimal.

The main issue I see with that fellow's tests is that the sun might not hit all parts evenly. If the hood was rotated every week or so, that would give all the coatings a fair chance to bask in the sun. Also, there are different types of clear-coat and not all coatings adhere the same way. Still though, the guy is doing a good job on the project.

A brand new ceramic coating will sheet for about a month. Ceramics that are not regularly top-coated don't sheet water any better than traditional waxes or sealers. Many ceramics require monthly maintenance and a lot of folks now skip the ceramic and just put the monthly top-coat stuff on. Here's one of the more common top-coats https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9A0AC8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A189LTAG6GCSCF&psc=1 Wash the car then do wipe-on / wipe-off with this stuff and it will sheet water for a few weeks then gradually fade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back