Info on Castrol 0w30 Professional????

hey everyone cant seem to find much info on this oil. ended up getting a free case from one of my buddys from VW but wanted to get some info on it.
plan on using it in a honda that requires 5w30. just wanted to get some info and opinions on it. thanks

[Linked Image from europaparts.com]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Here is a link to a PDS from NZ

Unless I didn't read it correctly I don't see any VW certification in that PDS 🤔

I don't think that is the correct PDS.

It is a 504/507 oil

Free is a real good price and I'd have no qualms using it in a Honda.

'LL III' (Longlife 3) as printed on that bottle generally means it's a VW 504/507 rated oil. This is an excellent specification, including 3.5< HTHS, and will go happily in almost anything that requires a 5w30. It's an even harder spec to meet in 0w30, as I understand, since it has strict requirements for retaining its viscosity that are more difficult to meet with the wider spread of 0w30. This means it's likely to be particularly good - and not cheap, as mentioned above.

It may have been made with VW spec in mind but that in no way means that it has to exclusively be used in VWs.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Here is a link to a PDS from NZ
Unless I didn't read it correctly I don't see any VW certification in that PDS 🤔
It may not be the correct one--finding a PDS for that oil is not easy
smile.gif

The Edge Professional is OE for Volvo. I can't find it anywhere around here except the Volvo dealer. So my S60 (manual recommends Castrol) gets Mobil1 EP which also meets the ACEA A5/B5 specs, and I can get it for about $12/jug after rebate.

Trying to find a TDS for this oil
21.gif

It's here I just punched in Castrol lliii ( GChrome)

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/BBB1F1A045E84DD380257F38004B4F22/$File/BPXE-A68GBX.pdf

Originally Posted by 240_Ed
'LL III' (Longlife 3) as printed on that bottle generally means it's a VW 504/507 rated oil. This is an excellent specification, including 3.5< HTHS, and will go happily in almost anything that requires a 5w30. It's an even harder spec to meet in 0w30, as I understand, since it has strict requirements for retaining its viscosity that are more difficult to meet with the wider spread of 0w30. This means it's likely to be particularly good - and not cheap, as mentioned above.

It may have been made with VW spec in mind but that in no way means that it has to exclusively be used in VWs.

Low saps Diesel oil though. Good spec for sure.

I'm liking the new MB 229.6 which mirrors ACEA A5/B5-16 but with increased performance in most categories and is close to Porsche A30 in min wear requirements - which are the most stringent in the industry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dadto2
The Edge Professional is OE for Volvo. I can't find it anywhere around here except the Volvo dealer. So my S60 (manual recommends Castrol) gets Mobil1 EP which also meets the ACEA A5/B5 specs, and I can get it for about $12/jug after rebate.

This is not that oil. This is Castrol's 0W-30 504/507.

The equivalent Mobil 1 would be 0W-30 ESP.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
21.gif

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/BBB1F1A045E84DD380257F38004B4F22/$File/BPXE-A68GBX.pdf

A nice VW504-approved oil. Supposedly factory-fill for many VWs. Rare/expensive. Sell it to a VW friend.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
21.gif

That is the 5W30?

this is the new OIL FOR ALL 2019+ VW ATLAS 3.6 VR6'S as per VW

all 2018 atlas spec for 5w40. and this is the EXACT SAME ENGINE

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dedonderosa

Audi/VW is in the process of switching all gasoline engines to 504 and 508 spec since North America is now using ultra low sulfur fuel. That is the reason for the change. HTHS on both the old and new specs are >3.5 so the actual viscosity difference isn't that much.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by dedonderosa

Audi/VW is in the process of switching all gasoline engines to 504 and 508 spec since North America is now using ultra low sulfur fuel. That is the reason for the change. HTHS on both the old and new specs are >3.5 so the actual viscosity difference isn't that much.

Correct. I'll stick to good ol' VW502 5W40 in my Atlas.

Back