Cars you got rid of and were later sorry you did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many cars I was sorry to get shot of, although the '38 Chev Coupe would be worth some money now. But lots and lot's of motorcycles I wish I still had.

1968 Ford Bronco. It had a strong 289 V8 but only a 3 speed manual transmission with a column shift and the reverse gear didn't work. I had my first real job and one day after work I was pushing it backwards out of a parking space and a group of my new co-workers were on the porch laughing. That was a stupid reason to get rid of a vehicle but I didn't have the time or money to fix it.

1967 Lotus Elan SE Drophead Coupe (I think that was the British term for convertible) Bought it wrecked from a friend. Repaired it over a long period and it was by far the most fun car I've ever driven. The popup headlights used vacuum to hold them up and were always drooping down and I'd prop them up with wooden wedges. One night I was slow to stop and prop them up and I hit a cow on a rural Nevada highway. Car was badly damaged but not totaled, but I just didn't have the energy to fix it again. Sold it to a guy in Bishop, CA with a verbal agreement that I'd get first chance to buy it if the new owner ever decided to sell it. I don't even remember the new owner's name and I don't know where the car is now.

‘49 Ford 2 door. Other than replacing generators, voltage regulators, rear axle shafts and water pumps (it had 2 of them) seemingly weekly it was a fun car. Would like to find another.

1960-something Toyota Tercel (I think that was the model) Kind of a silly car to miss but it was 4WD with a two speed transfer case and kind of an early and very practical and useful SUV.

1970 AMC Javelin. Put 100K+ miles without any issues. Always started at -15*F in New England winters. Totaled by drunk driver while parked on the street.

1970 AMC AMX. Sold due to no place to store while living in big city.

1969 Corvette 427. Rolled by a friend, totaled.

1995 Nissan 300ZX. Clean, no rust, no accidents. Traded for Volvo S80 V8.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (yellow)

Screenshot_20191025-065556_Chrome.jpg

1955 Chevrolet, My first car in 1965.
1962 409 Impala.
1967 SS 396 chevelle.
1968 Camaro SS 396 with the L78 motor.
1957 Chevrolet 327/4 speed.
1970 Camaro Z/28
1970 CST Chevrolet pickup with LS6 454 installed by me.

I can't afford anything I had back then, today.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
2001 Honda S2000, one of my favorite cars ever. Sold it when I bought the Lotus, but owning the Elise just shows how great of a car the Honda is; 95% of the capability with 5% of the hassles.

I "ran" with an S2000 on the back roads of WV in my 2018 Mustang GT. I couldn't do anything with him in the curves; my only hope of keeping up was the extra power in the straight sections. I was impressed.

I had a 1970 Camaro I wish I would have kept. Also had an opportunity to buy an all original 1970 AAR 'Cuda for $1800 back in 1980 when the gas prices shot up. No one wanted a muscle car back then.

Wow, I have so many!
The biggest regrets of getting rid of were:
75 Trans Am
70 442 convertible
88 Mustang GT
79 F150

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L. Sold about 6 months ago with 187k miles. It had been super reliable, never left me stranded ever, started up every time. I had been to many different places with it, pulled out numerous stuck cars from snowbanks, etc. It was overall a great Jeep. Unfortunately it had some rust on the rockers, which I originally planned on fixing. I had a cracked windshield from a rock that came off a truck, and needed the windshield replaced. When I went to have the windshield replaced, the guy was unable to do it. The Jeep did not have the original windshield, and it had been replaced somewhere along the line before the 10 years I owned it. Whoever installed that windshield didn't put the seal in correctly, and it was heavily rusted, to the point of likely needing 1000s in bodywork at a shop. At that point, knowing it had 187k miles and a little bit of rust elsewhere already, I had to let it go. It was bought by a welder, and was going to get fixed up, but I still miss it almost every day.

1981 Chevy S-10 2.8L V6 4 speed MT std cab short box .
67 Chevelle SS 396
65 Buick Electra 222 Convertible 401 Nailhead + super turbine 400 w/ switch pitch converter.

I guess BMW 335d. If the DEF system had better reliability I would've kept it. I was taking good care of the fuel and injection system

My 70 road runner I had to sell to pay the tax man in 1998
My 67 gtx I just sold because I have no storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back