2001 Range Rover 4.6 winter oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved to the panhandle of Nebraska from Oregon. I run Valvoline VR1 10-30/20-50 winter summer in Oregon.
Nebraska can see up to - 30 +or- wind chill.

I am thinking 0w-30 or 0w-40 I need something good for push rod flat tapit V8.
2001 Range Rover 4.6 130k run great burns no oil just seeps a bit.

Last edited:
Well first off, wind chill is meaningless for the block temperature. It will cause an engine to cool down faster but it will only cool down to the actual air temperature.

And a 10W rated oil is acceptable down to around 0F, a 5W rated oil to -30F or so. But there is no reason you can't use a lower winter rating oil in warmer weather, all the available 0W-40 oils (Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.) are great oils. They would work well in that engine.

-30F I would prefer a 0w, but you may have difficulty finding a 0w-40 with the zinc needed for the flat tappets [insert discussion here about whether other additives can take zinc's place].

Perhaps Rotella's really good 5w-40 would fill the bill.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Nice truck.

What does the manual specify for the temperature range?

I like Rotella or M1 TDT 5w-40's.

Manual says -30 to 50c is 5w-40 to 5w-50
5w-30= -30 to 30c

Could also use M1 5w-50, but it isn't widely available. I use it in my diesel Rover and 986. I'd use a quality 5w-40/50 sym. M1 0w-40 is a great oil, but probably not ideal for this.

How long are your oil change intervals? If this oil change will take you beyond winter into spring, I would suggest an HDEO 5w-40. Something along the likes of Rotella T6, Chevron Delo LE, etc.

If this oil change will be primarily for winter and you expect to change it out before weather gets warm, I'd even use a 5w-30 ACEA A3 rated oil or 5w-30 HDEO.

The reason for this is, an Xw-30 will (usually) be thinner at cold-start temperatures than a xw-40, and especially the 5w-50 suggested above. Just because they're all 5w oils isn't telling the whole story. Just because they can all flow down to -30F or whatever the spec is, doesn't mean they have the same viscosity properties at the usual winter temps of 0-30F in that region. I did a fair bit of research into recommended oil weights for the 4.0L/4.6L Rover engine when I owned my Discovery years ago and the general consensus is to avoid the energy conserving oils and stick to things on the thicker end of the spectrum (the engines are an older architecture and prone to leaks, 40 and 50 weight is recommended often.) That presents a problem in winter because thick oils do not flow well in cold temperatures. So the suggestions I gave above are a compromise of sorts-- the thick 5w-30 weight (HDEO / A3 rated oils are generally thicker and have higher HTHS viscosity than energy conserving oils do) or a 5w-40. Both will provide better/quicker oil flow at startup in colder temps than a 5w-50!

Castrol Edge German/Belgian formula 0W-30, M1 0W-40. 5W-40 if you want pour it and forget it. Rotella T6 is the benchmark.

If that Rover V8(which was based off a GM design) used roller lifters you can get away with a modern 5W-30 Dexos1 approved oil. But you need more ZDDP for flat tappets.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm going to use a 5w-40 one of the places I get parts at sells an oil called liquid moly they have a 5w-40 with a poor point down to -45c and a hths @ 150c and Vi 180 with 1100 ppm zinc so seem to fit the bill.

I have been trying not to over think things, I think some of you understand where I am coming from.I used to agonize over oil in my younger days. Now I have more to worry about and less time to doit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back