Sil-Glyde on door seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to condition my car door seals and prevent them from freezing shut in the winter. I used some CRC silicone spray last year and wasn't impressed. The carrier solvent smell was overwhelming and it didn't do anything to condition the seals. On the contrary, it stained some areas white.

I've got a tube of Sil-Glyde sitting around from brake jobs. Have you guys ever used it on car door seals?

You don't want to use a grease here unless you don't care if you rub against it when you open the door.

Gummipflege and 303 are usually recommended when these threads come up.

Yes I have used it on door seals, and Sil-Glyde will turn a dark brown color. Left over residue looks nasty looking.

I use if for that application. Have so for years. Doesn't take much. Just apply a small dab and spread it with your fingers till seal is covered. Put a dab on the door switch too.In all things moderation.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You'll likely get a million opinions but I have had very good success using the Honda recommended Shin-Etsu grease.

+1 I found it works very well a little goes a long way. I really work it and spread it thin on the entire surface. And the doors will not freeze shut

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I use if for that application. Have so for years. Doesn't take much. Just apply a small dab and spread it with your fingers till seal is covered. Put a dab on the door switch too.In all things moderation.

I also use sil-glyde for this and it works great. I use it on paper towel (fingers to if gloved - but you can use bare fingers, it's not nasty). The bare-finger approach is your hands will get dirty from all the gun in the door sills, etc. I do all the door gaskets, trunk/rear door gasket(s), sunroof, etc. on each car every two to three years. No issues and I have some cars 2+ decades old.

RE: staining, etc. : the first few days or week it's applied, it will transfer slightly if you rub into it. But it soaks in after a few days/week and rubbing/touching, clothes against the treated gasket are not an issue at all.

I can't argue against shin-etsu, have not tried it. But Sil-Glyde is a lot cheaper for larger containers, widely available, and works great. I also use it under the hood and as the only needed brake lube. Great stuff.

Last edited:
BTW, re the Sil-Glyde (which I have) - it seems to be sold as a high-melting grease... i.e. to put behind brake pads, and on the contact points of said brake pads (with the caliper frame). My question, though, is whether it actually is a "rubber grease" like the Wurth rubber grease is. Meaning, it is non-hydrocarbon grease, and can be used on all brake rubber parts when rebuilding, say, calipers (i.e. on the caliper piston seals, and on the caliper piston dust seals)?

Some folks lubricate the parts with DOT3 brake fluid... but I am fundamentally opposed to that... as beyond the confines of the sealed brake system... brake fluid will take up atmospheric (and splash-induced) moisture and cause rust. Lubing with rubber grease (which is fully compatible with DOT3) averts this issue.

Comments on this latter point, please?

Worked in X-Ray field and would just put some DC4 (Dow Corning #4 ) on a rag and spead it thinly on all the rubber seals at the doors. Never had one freeze. I was always on call and had to be able to get in and go..

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
My question, though, is whether it actually is a "rubber grease" like the Wurth rubber grease is. Meaning, it is non-hydrocarbon grease, and can be used on all brake rubber parts when rebuilding, say, calipers (i.e. on the caliper piston seals, and on the caliper piston dust seals)?

Yes, it is. You can read the product literature and it describes this. I don't bash you for wondering - but it is described as synthetic and compatible with rubber (if there really is genuine rubber in your application? I doubt it...).

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Spray the silicone spray on a rag and apply. Sil-Glyde is like 5% silicone according to the MSDS IIRC, step yo game up sucka!

I would avoid sprays, because even if the propellants flash off, you have no guarantee that all solvents and whatnot are gone.

So then you have petroleum distillates on your rubber seals which is the worst situation of all.

Sil glyde grease is 30-60% castor oil from the msds I looked at. If you were looking at an msds for a spray, the % will always be low due to solvents and propellants.

I think the heavy Dow Corning vacuum grease, Honda shin etsu, Krytox, and a few others are really the only best options. Sil glyde grease is cheap and available but I think other products are better.

The idea of using antifreeze concentrate is interesting, assuming it's totally paint safe.

I've run silicone brake fluid before on seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back