usps says package delivered and no package

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are probably right. What are the chances of two separate deliveries occurring and the neighbor not seeing anything. I think she thought I was accusing her when I asked about it. lol

Back in the spring, I had a UPS delivery mark delivered without it actually showing up. This was not an Ebay purchase, but rather from a known retailer who I use a lot(KEH Cameras, if anyone is interested), and I had it delivered to work since they typically ship boxes "direct signature required."

I waited a day or two, then contacted the vendor. They initiated an inquiry with UPS, and it showed up a few days later. I actually saved the shipping box for a while as it had about 6 labels stuck on it that told the whole story-essentially it gave the address of the GPS coordinates of the initial delivery scan, and of the closest address to that those coordinates. Apparently the driver went there, retrieved the package(which hadn't been opened) and then delivered it to me.

BTW, remember that Ebay itself doesn't sell anything-it's a platform for sellers. As someone who regularly uses Ebay, I ship most things by USPS because Ebay makes it easy and pretty much everything I sell is small and light enough that USPS is the most economical choice. With that said, Ebay leaves it up to the seller to use whatever carrier they want as long as it has online viewable tracking/delivery confirmation. I have had things come to be by UPS, Fed-Ex, and even freight carriers-it just depends on what makes the most sense for the item.

Oh if you ship something and don't take off all the previous labels, then it will just go back and forth all over the place, then probably end up back to the original shipper and they will still be charged even though it never made it to the destination .

I had an eBay situation earlier this summer where the seller gave me a tracking number that was created 5 hours BEFORE I purchased the item. The whole thing went on for about 2 weeks, but I finally won. eBay kept telling me I was provided a tracking number and that I needed to file a police report.

Another time, the mailman put it at a house 1 mile south of us. The homeowner sent me a FB message and all was good.

I would look into either possibility.

Talk to your mail carrier to see if maybe he/she didn't leave it at your place because no one was home.

At the previous house I lived in, USPS, FedEx and UPS delivered packages to the wrong address instead of my house. They'd deliver it to 3267 instead of 3367 as an example. USPS misdelivered the most.

I definitely have porch pirates where I am. I have been tempted to order something real embarrassing and leave it on the front steps and see what happens when they steal it. We had chocolates from Amazon go missing 2 Christmases ago only to show up a week later. Opened.

I usually have stuff shipped to work. Much easier.

When I lived with my parents, UPS would always misdeliver stuff. They live at 7701 but UPS would deliver everthing to 7771.

I've had that happen with Amazon orders where USPS delivers the "last mile". In all of those instances the package arrived the next day.

I have a bunch of USPS stories, around here they are a joke. They marked one of my packages as "unable to deliver due to sidewalk not being cleared" I saw the carrier sit at the end of my driveway for at least 5 minutes and then leave, the same driveway that I had cleared and salted earlier in the day. I took a couple of pics that I showed to the postmaster who then admitted that the carrier didnt make the delivery because it was 7PM and they just stop and return. Of course it would have taken less time to deliver the package than it did to sit at the end of my drive typing in excuses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Once we had a package that was insured, which was claimed to be delivered. We didn't get it. Was never there.

USPS claimed that since it was logged as delivered, they were absolved of liability.

That's between the seller/shipper and USPS, not you. While you may have paid the costs for the insurance, it's the shipper who "gets" the coverage. You have no liability or responsibility until it's in your possession.

The mailman dropped off a box at my house for someone 2 streets away.

I went to the person's home, knocked on the door and explained what happened.

Hopefully you have the same outcome.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I guess i'm out $180 bucks then. Someone must have stole both packages.

Why are you out the money ? You didn't lose the items. Tell the seller they haven't been rec'd and it's up to them to fix it, not you. Threaten to dispute the charges with your credit card company. They (the CC company) will side with you and without a physical signature from you or someone at your address, you'll "win". You might not get the parts you wanted but you won't be out the money.

USPS will sometime Mark a package as delivered and deliver it at a later date. It's done so that the delivery time metrics look good.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
At the previous house I lived in, USPS, FedEx and UPS delivered packages to the wrong address instead of my house. They'd deliver it to 3267 instead of 3367 as an example. USPS misdelivered the most.

Originally Posted by Miller88
When I lived with my parents, UPS would always misdeliver stuff. They live at 7701 but UPS would deliver everthing to 7771.

Guess if the house number looks similar, even if not on the right street, it's close enough for a delivery. Must be hard to look at the number on the house and package to make a match.
33.gif

I sell on eBay.

OP, you need to file a claim with them, and with PayPal, if you have it set up to pay the seller. (Yeah, and your CC).

eBay *always* sides with the buyer, you should get your money back.

One of the packages came earlier tonight around 7:30. I'm not sure if it was a neighbor that dropped it off or if the mail man actually works until the sun goes down. They knocked on the door, but I wasn't dressed to answer it. Now waiting on the fedex package. I filed a claim with them, can't do anything until Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Miller88
I definitely have porch pirates where I am. I have been tempted to order something real embarrassing and leave it on the front steps and see what happens when they steal it. We had chocolates from Amazon go missing 2 Christmases ago only to show up a week later. Opened.

I usually have stuff shipped to work. Much easier.

Look into getting a camera system such as Arlo that sends notifications to your phone.

I argued with the USPS for over a week on a package that ultimately was at my neighbors house across the street. USPS said it was delivered and the shipper said I was S.O.L. since the USPS claimed it had been delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back