How long do you let it cool before draining oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do an hour drive on the interstate and once I get off and home up on the ramps and I flip open the Fumoto valve. No issues at all.

Originally Posted by StarCaller
Originally Posted by Malo83
Like that, where do you get them?
thumbsup2.gif

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJEBBO/

Mine will be here Thursday. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by blupupher

So I want to know what everyone is driving that has "gunk" and "particles" in their oil that are heavy enough to settle out of the oil into the pan when you turn the engine off but not be filtered out when the engine is running?
Seriously, who here has engines that dirty?

You can probably better picture it in your mind if you think of diesel oil. Get a drop on your hand and the stain is there for days. All of that gets past the filter.

Yeah, but... all of that gunk in diesel oil, what's it doing? grinding those big motors into oblivion in short order?

Well apparently the filter isn't good enough to get that out of the oil, but if not in short order, it must contribute some to engine wear.

Don't those trucks do like 25k OCI's?

i'm sure it must contribute, yet those trucks don't need overhauls for what, 500k? and you know that it was a hard 500k at that.

Originally Posted by supton
Well apparently the filter isn't good enough to get that out of the oil, but if not in short order, it must contribute some to engine wear.

Don't those trucks do like 25k OCI's?.

Yes but they also have 40-50 quarts capacity.

And yet the oil is "full" of that which you complain about, and are wanting to make sure is completely removed from your engine. Yet those big rigs soldier on with "yuge" amounts of soot in the oil.

21.gif

Originally Posted by supton

Yeah, but... all of that gunk in diesel oil, what's it doing? grinding those big motors into oblivion in short order?

Diesels will always put soot in their oil. Even the new EPA2010 diesels with SCR. It's the use of EGR that loads the oil more. That's why Cummins pushes their combo filters with bypass filtration and some use two oil filters. Transit bus fleets use oil centrifuges and constant UOAs to keep tabs on wear and OCIs.

I drain oil when the engine is warm - if I can comfortably put my hand on the oil filter for more than 10 seconds, we're good to drain.

I've drained our 2.3 EB Explorer hot and cold, what ever is more convenient at the time because it has to be on ramps to do an OC in my driveway. If it's hot I wait for ~25 minutes to drain the oil because the EB engines take longer for the oil to settle into the sump. Either way I let the oil drain out for a good 1/2 hour. No oil change place, even Ford dealers, will take the time to properly drain the oil from an EB engine, it takes too long and is not profitable.

Whimsey

I usually let it cool down for 30-45 minutes just so that the engine and exhaust won't burn me. But of course the oil is still plenty hot when the plug comes out.

Used cordless impact ratchet, Harbor Freight Earthquake XT within minutes of getting home, worked great, 2003 Vibe, only had 1k but it was done by the dealership so I wanted a known 5w30, oil was real dark and runny, not like the dipstick where it didn't look too bad. Next I'll try it in the 2005 4Runner.

I never change them hot unless I have no choice. I let them sit overnight ideally. My truck has grease fittings and I don't want to be crawling around under a hot exhaust.

I've changed them hot a few times on my kids' cars when they had to drive over and didn't have time for it to sit, but I usually put it up on ramps, propped open the hood, and turned a big fan on it to cool things off. 30 minutes with a fan blowing on the front/under the car is enough to cool things enough to do the job. I've never been burned.

Both oil changes today I did minutes after shutting off the engine, just enough time to get set up. Partly because of limited time, but hot oil drains fast and more completely.

I have typically done it this way as well ^^^^^

Coldest I have done it was temperature around 15°F wind a below 0°F wind chill... Glad the oil was pretty hot that evening
lol.gif

I build a fire under mine until it stops dripping. I don NOT recommend this to the inexperienced.

Unless I'm pressed for time or doing an OC for someone, I do them cool or cold. Have so for 35yrs. There's no need to do them warm/hot.

Originally Posted by Silver
I build a fire under mine until it stops dripping. I don NOT recommend this to the inexperienced.
crackmeup2.gif
Love to see that, possible you could post some pics of even better a youtube vid? Also neighbors reactions would be interesting and appreciated too.

I like to do mine, hot-ish to warm. Preferably after I've driven vehicle for awhile on an errand or such. Once I get vehicle on the ramps, I'm not in a particular rush to remove the drain plug though. Just take my time through the entire process. In summer time, a little more delay with drain plug, not a bad thing ime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back