Police getting irritated by HID lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Michael_P
To add to the HID lighting, it seems motorcycle lighting has gotten bad too but for the safety sake of the motorcycle rider.

Motorcycle lighting has to follow the same rules as cars. All the weird shtuff you see on motorcycles (pulsing high-beam DRL, multi-blink taillights, excessively bright headlight, etc.) are illegal.

Strictly speaking, so are the sequential turn-signals on the new Mustang (and old T-birds). But in that case its not actually a safety concern so no one, not even the NHTSA who write the rules, cares.

Frankly I'm sick of hearing the excuse that illegal lighting on motorcycles is "for the safety of the rider." If I choose to ride a motorcycle, then I accept the risks that come with it. I don't have the right to blind or confuse other drivers, and if my motorcycle lighting confuses them, then I'm sure not making myself safer anyway!

I would normally disagree about the motorcycle lighting but I really hate those headlight modulator kits.

They're just annoying in the daytime. They are supposed to automatically shut off at night. More often than not, they don't.

I got followed real close by a BMW or Kawasaki Concours...I don't know which. It was night and I was still dazzled by 10 minutes of disco strobe in my mirrors when he finally passed.

You think he would notice that his modulator was still on....nope. Apparently not.

In PA the stupid lighting on motorcycles is NOT illegal, as long as it is in addition to the required lighting (head,tail,brake,turn) in factory form.

FWIW...Aftermarket Motorcycle headlamp modulators have been legal in all 50 states and Canada for years. Federal MVSS trumps state and local laws.

Table of Contents Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;
Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that: (a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 40 cycles per minute. (b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle. (c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point. (d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit. (e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure. (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors. (g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9. (h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off. (b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Some pylon the other night, when I was coming back from my buddy's garage was driving a (Ridgeline?) with a jerry-rigged HID install. Lights were blinding. I flashed my high beams at him, he flashed his high beams at me, and his high beams were a huge reduction in light over the HID's! You know it is bad when the actual high beams are a fraction as blinding as the HID "retrofit".

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
.... (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors.....

I knew it. Either he was so close to me that the reflected light did not allow the modulator to shut off or (more likely) his modulator was malfunctioning.

Annoying as [heck]

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Some pylon the other night, when I was coming back from my buddy's garage was driving a (Ridgeline?) with a jerry-rigged HID install. Lights were blinding. I flashed my high beams at him, he flashed his high beams at me, and his high beams were a huge reduction in light over the HID's! You know it is bad when the actual high beams are a fraction as blinding as the HID "retrofit".

from what your describing..........this is NOT an HID "retrofit",
it was just HID bulbs and ballasts in STOCK REFLECTOR housings.
Which is [censored] and gives ALL HID owners a bad rap !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wsar10

That's why I put retrofit in quotes, LOL
wink.gif
It was somebody jamming HID's in the stock housings from what I could determine. Jerry Rig and Mickey Mouse working overtime for the MAD LIGHT POWAAZZZZZ! Until some angry redneck puts a pitchfork through them.

I hate those. I had an f-150 beside my truck coming home and he kept staying in my blind spot and my mirror was reflecting the light into my eyes blinding me. I look over into my other mirror and I almost couldn't even see the headlights of the cars on the other side of me. It's great that you can see good with those but it doesn't do any good if nobody else can see. I think the problem is that people install these things themselves and don't know how to adjust them. So there pointed to high. Or whatever other direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've seen that very often. The other funny thing is when some twit's fog lights are painfully bright and you flash your high-beams, then he turns on his high beams and the fogs go off and its less painful. I've had a few "flash fights" that wound up with both of us having our brights on and it being much less painful for me. I'm sure the other guy was livid... :p

Originally Posted By: wsar10

That's why I put retrofit in quotes, LOL
wink.gif
It was somebody jamming HID's in the stock housings from what I could determine. Jerry Rig and Mickey Mouse working overtime for the MAD LIGHT POWAAZZZZZ! Until some angry redneck puts a pitchfork through them.

OIC,
my mistake !

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
OVERK1LL said:
... I've had a few "flash fights" that wound up with both of us having our brights on and it being much less painful for me. I'm sure the other guy was livid... :p

I try not to get into those.

But I have on several occasions used my power mirrors at a traffic signal to redirect an offensively aimed headlight back at it's owner's eyes. Just keep adjusting the side mirror while watching in the rear-view until Capt. Mis-Aimed flinches.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
But I have on several occasions used my power mirrors at a traffic signal to redirect an offensively aimed headlight back at it's owner's eyes. Just keep adjusting the side mirror while watching in the rear-view until Capt. Mis-Aimed flinches.

That is a GREAT idea.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

That is a GREAT idea.

This is reason #1 why I want to replace the cable on my Torino's driver mirror. My window doesn't roll down either. That's two fixes I need to make when I remember.

I notice this a lot too. It's like so many cars now run around with high beams on, but I think it's just the newer cars with brighter lights from the factory. Then of course you get the guys with lifted/leveled trucks who have them pointed towards the sky. I'm not sure if they are adjustable or not, (I think that was an old wives tale) aligning headlights.

I really think they need limit the total brightness a headlight can be. It's great that you can see better, but when everyone around you is blinded then that's a problem.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I really think they need limit the total brightness a headlight can be. It's great that you can see better, but when everyone around you is blinded then that's a problem.

There really cannot be a brightness limit for headlamps. Implementing a brightness limit has never, ever been seriously considered by any regulator in the world, and it never will be, for good reason. Such a limit would simply cause more pedestrians fatalities and collisions with deer, etc. The very best headlamps on a $55,000 2020 Mercedes E-Class only illuminate out to 200 feet on the left side of the road. Let's say Johnny Jaywalker steps out from the left and in front of your E-Class. At a mere 40 MPH, you'd be hard-pressed to stop in less than 200 feet. At 45 MPH, Johnny Jaywalker is getting a free ride to the hospital. At 50+ MPH, Johnny Jaywalker is getting a one-way ticket to the morgue. And that's with a 2020 E-Class with the better (read: more expensive) headlamps in perfect condition and in perfect alignment--not a 10+ year old car with jaundiced lamps. And you'd be hard-pressed, even today, to find lamps as good as the ones on the E-Class. There's a reason deer alone cause $1 billion in property damage in the US every year. No one wants to hit a deer. They just drive at 70 MPH in the dark with just low-beams and magically expect low-beams to save them when the reality is that low-beams are good to 40 MPH, max.

The biggest cause of glare complaints today is the fact that the US does not require auto-leveling headlamps. A headlamp's point/region of high intensity is located at 0.6 degrees below the horizontal and 1.3 degrees to the right of the vertical. Simply having one passenger in the backseat will tilt your vehicle up sufficiently that this -0.6 degree value becomes something more like +0.1 degrees. In other words, a passenger in the back seat, your Harbor Freight aluminum jack in the trunk for quick roadside tire changes, a full tank of gas, etc. can and does tilt the car so that the zone of highest intensity is now in other drivers' eyes.

That's why so many people are quick to blame the Corolla has having "blinding" headlamps. The Corolla has, for one, no auto-leveling. It also has a very simple suspension setup, especially in the rear. This isn't a car made to smooth out bumps. This is a car that reacts to every bump on the road and the simple addition of stuff in the trunk or a passenger in the back brings the high-intensity zone dangerously close to oncoming drivers' eyes (or actually in their eyes).

Also, even extremely dim bulbs can put out dangerous levels of glare.

Finally, as far as "HID retrofits" go, no, getting a "proper" HID retrofit doesn't make one any better than the Corolla, unless your HID retrofit includes retrofitting an auto-leveling system. Clear lenses and other mods to boost the maximum intensity of your HID retrofit just exacerbate the issue of not having auto-leveling. Junk in your trunk, passengers in your car, suspension issues, even gas in the tank will change the dynamic aim of your lamps, and by boosting intensity to stratospheric levels with clear lenses and spacers, you end up possibly glaring other drivers with every bump in the road and passenger in the backseat. The presence of absence of a "cutoff" has little to no bearing on glare when a scientific study found that 90% of the time during driving, your lamps are not pointed in the optimal/right direction. A cutoff is a useless defense against glare when you have a friend in the backseat who's weight has caused the zone of highest intensity to rise from -0.6 degrees below the horizontal to +x degrees above the horizontal. In other words, static aim is important, but dynamic aim is truly where it's at with these high-intensity lamps on the market today, and engineers are taking steps toward enabling full dynamic aim with adaptive driving beam technology. Auto-leveling was a stepping-stone--an important one. And one that's still relevant; If the Corolla came with auto-leveling lamps tomorrow, the glare complaints will drop dramatically.

Last edited:
Auto leveled HID headlights are quite easy to be around. No glare for the upcoming cars or in the rear view mirror.

The OP is describing an issue of priks installing xenon bulbs in halogen housing.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Auto leveled HID headlights are quite easy to be around. No glare for the upcoming cars or in the rear view mirror.

The OP is describing an issue of priks installing xenon bulbs in halogen housing.

The OP is also almost a decade old, and I'm responding to a more recent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back