Ingrown toe nails - any tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem to get one at least once a year, despite me wearing very open shoes.

I'm currently trying a "kit" that includes a sulfur type gel that is supposed to soften the nail so I can cut it away from the part that is digging into the skin.

But are there any other methods? Or would a doctor's office be able to take care of it quite easily and painlessly?

Dig it out, and cut it off. That's the only cure. If it hurts too much, you can try putting Ambesol on it beforehand. That's the oral gel they sell for toothache pain. It numbs the skin pretty well. I used it on my dog a few times, as a topical anesthetic to puncture and drain an abscess. He never flinched. Worked a lot better than the ice skate and the rock Tom Hanks used in, "Castaway".

I had a foot doctor do outpatient "surgery" on one that I had been dealing with for 8 months. I never realized how quick it would be; she said if I told her in person what the appointment was for, she could've squeezed me in somewhere months earlier. (I had scheduled it via the desk jockey)

My wife had one. The podiatrist did a quick procedure to remove a small amount from the side of the nail and it's been pain free ever since (about 10 years now).

Originally Posted by Fawteen
My wife had one. The podiatrist did a quick procedure to remove a small amount from the side of the nail and it's been pain free ever since (about 10 years now).

+1. Google 'the toe bro' to see some of what a doctor does.

See a podiatrist for a permanent fix. Very little discomfort and immediate relief afterward. Just don't watch him/her do it.

I've had three done on my big toes over the years. One was infected which was pretty gross but afterward I felt like dancing.

Get yourself one of these. Makes cutting out the sides much easier.
Another option is to suffer and let it grow all the way through, then trim the nail so it is flush with the skin or slightly past it and cut straight, not rounded off at the edges like hand nails. This work for me at least.

[Linked Image]

Here is a good picture of how I keep my nails trimmed and it helps tremendously.
[Linked Image]

Let them grow out. Most people cut them too short and they start growing in. My Wife had issues till she did this.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Let them grow out. Most people cut them too short and they start growing in. My Wife had issues till she did this.

If you let them grow out they wear holes in your Sox!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by billt460
Dig it out, and cut it off.

This! The 5 minutes of pain is worth it.

Can tell who the real men are on the board...I taught my daughter to do hers too...

(We are both flexible, and have anxiety issues, sowe tend to pick and pull at our nails...both f us have big toes that look like astronauts...not proud...it'swhat it is)

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Blkstanger

If you let them grow out they wear holes in your Sox!
coffee2.gif

Ha Ha. No no, Not that long
27.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
Dig it out, and cut it off. That's the only cure. If it hurts too much, you can try putting Ambesol on it beforehand. That's the oral gel they sell for toothache pain. It numbs the skin pretty well. I used it on my dog a few times, as a topical anesthetic to puncture and drain an abscess. He never flinched. Worked a lot better than the ice skate and the rock Tom Hanks used in, "Castaway".

Right on bill. Don't let them get a head start. When they start to head south, dig em out.

Another vote for getting the podiatrist to remove part of the nail. I've had the procedure done on both big toes and haven't had problems since. Takes a few minutes and it's done. Pain relief is pretty quick and the edge of the nail won't grow back. I watched them do mine but I definitely winced a bit!

Last edited:
I have the issue also. I purchased a small kit that includes a pick and file. While not ideal, it does allow me to "lift" the curved nail away from my toe and cut it with nail clippers jammed in there. At which point it feels great for about 2-3 months.

My nails are so seriously curved down on the edges, that even when they grow long, the pressure is uncomfortable and unrelenting. So letting them grow and cutting them square is not a viable answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back