Toyota Yaris/Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long has the Toyota Yaris been made by Mazda? We had a 2019 (made 9/18) in the shop, it didn't disguise it's self as a Toyota very well. Mazda interior, Mazda instrument cluster, Mazda keyfob, and a big ole MADE BY MAZDA MEXICO under the hood. Also looked to have a Ford Focus 2.0 in it just by judging (no guarantees there, sure did have a lot of similarities). Is this why Ford killed off the Focus, so they could just sell them to Mazda who makes them for Toyota? So many questions of why. I'm somewhat shocked Toyota would put their name on it.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
How long has the Toyota Yaris been made by Mazda? We had a 2019 (made 9/18) in the shop, it didn't disguise it's self as a Toyota very well. Mazda interior, Mazda instrument cluster, Mazda keyfob, and a big ole MADE BY MAZDA MEXICO under the hood. Also looked to have a Ford Focus 2.0 in it just by judging (no guarantees there, sure did have a lot of similarities). Is this why Ford killed off the Focus, so they could just sell them to Mazda who makes them for Toyota? So many questions of why. I'm somewhat shocked Toyota would put their name on it.

Toyota started offering the 2 as a Scion in '15(?) as a sedan, and when Scion discontinued it became the Yaris sedan. The Yaris hatch was still made by Toyota until 2020, and now it will be the Mazda2 version of the hatch as well.

Why the surprise? Mazda2s are excellent cars and better looking than the Toyota Yaris was. And Mazda2s are being sold everywhere else besides NA.

Also very weird Mazda doesnt make the Mazda2 anymore.... Such weirdness going on with this.

Mazda still makes the Mazda2, they just call it a CX-3 now ... because sub-compact " SUV's ..." sell, but sub-compact cars don't.

People are funny ...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

Also very weird Mazda doesnt make the Mazda2 anymore.... Such weirdness going on with this.

Mazda still makes the Mazda2, they just call it a CX-3 now ... because sub-compact " SUV's ..." sell, but sub-compact cars don't.

People are funny ...

Incorrect, the Mazda2 is still made and sold as the Mazda2 everywhere besides NA.

Toyota has partnered up with Mazda to bring younger buyers into their showrooms. Their own attempts at making cars that would appeal to younger buyers have failed miserably, hence Scion is dead.
Mazda on the other hand wants some of the hybrid technology Toyota has for their own cars.

Ford, they separated from Mazda several years ago, but Foesta, Focus and Fusion were shared platforms with Mazda 2, 3 and 6. Similarities will be there for few generations as even new platforms aren't really totally new, just an improvement of the old ones.

Funny thing is the Toyota dealer will call us for parts on those. Random stuff that we don't even stock and they say is on backorder and is faster to get through us.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules

People are funny ...

Incorrect, the Mazda2 is still made and sold as the Mazda2 everywhere besides NA.

JOKE ... !

Mazda stopped selling the Mazda2 in Canada because NOBODY buys them. You can't buy a Mazda Mazda2 here, but you can get a VERY SIMILAR CX-3, which is basically a lifted Mazda2 with optional AWD. And people buy those.

And people don't buy Yaris's either. Sub-compacts do not sell in North America. Not sure why Toyota bothers ... they already have the sharp looking Corolla hatch.

Last edited:
The original Yaris was the black sheep of the Toyota family. Oddly enough, Toyota decided to bring over the French-built Yaris Hatch over, while the Scion iA became the Yaris iA and now just the sedan. The Prius C is simply a Yaris with a tweaked version of the 2nd gen Prius drivetrain. It's called the Aqua in Japan.

Supposedly the Euro-built Yaris is a better car than the Japanese/Thai made version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules

People are funny ...

JOKE ... !

Mazda stopped selling the Mazda2 in Canada because NOBODY buys them. You can't buy a Mazda Mazda2 here, but you can get a VERY SIMILAR CX-3, which is basically a lifted Mazda2 with optional AWD. And people buy those.

And people don't buy Yaris's either. Sub-compacts do not sell in North America. Not sure why Toyota bothers ... they already have the sharp looking Corolla hatch.

You forgot to mention matte black plastic cladding. THAT makes them off-road capable.

Hard to believe Toyota would ever put anything other than the 1NZ-FE 1.5 liter in them, those engines are unbelievable. We had company xAs that made it to 200K, still ran great, burned no oil. FNGs beat the bodies to heck, though!

the well loved 2014 yaris in my signature is french made. it is a great, simple snowbird runabout and not terrible on long highway drives with an aftermarket cruise control kit. i love its 1.5 liter engine. i got it from hertz in 2016 after comparing it to a mazda 2 hatchback and nissan versa sv. i chose the yaris because i rode in a yaris taxi almost daily in indonesia for 3 years. bloody things are the timex watch of cars. 90% of the taxis in southeast asia are yaris. they take awful abuse but seem to be bullet proof.

im visiting jakarta now. the mazda 2 is still sold here and i spent an hour as a passenger in a brother in law's hatchback yesterday. it was better than i recalled from my hertz test drive but likely because a mazda can't take rental car wear and tear as well as a yaris. btw, big box stores' motor oil here is mostly 10w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back