03 Tiburon delayed crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, when the key is turned, delays an inconsistent amount between turning the key and the engine cranking. Once cranking the car starts right up and runs great. I don't really know a whole lot about it, what do you guys think it could be?

Originally Posted by Warstud
Sounds like a bad Battery. The longer it sits the longer it's gonna crank.

It doesn't crank for a good bit until It does and the crank itself seems normal. Once it starts cranking it fires up just fine there is just a delay between turning the key and the starter cranking the engine.
However battery does affect everything so I will check it.

Last edited:
V6? I would check the crankshaft position sensor as it's well known for the wiring insulation on it to get cooked from the exhaust manifold and cause a short/fault...

Originally Posted by boom10ful
V6? I would check the crankshaft position sensor as it's well known for the wiring insulation on it to get cooked from the exhaust manifold and cause a short/fault...

I'm not positive but I think the OP is saying that the vehicle doesn't crank right away, not that it has a long crank time?

My guess is either corrosion as already mentioned or a starter relay not operating correctly. An old diesel pickup I have does the same thing, turn the key and sometimes starts right away and other times there is a definite delay. Everytime it starts with a delay I hear a click from the starter relay right before it fires up.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by boom10ful

I'm not positive but I think the OP is saying that the vehicle doesn't crank right away, not that it has a long crank time?

That is correct. I'm kind of leaning toward clutch safety switch. When I somewhat violently pump the clutch I can get it to start, although that's not a cement observation.

Turn the lights on and watch to see if the whole car loses power (and then recovers) when you try to start. If it does it's probably a loose connection at a battery terminal or the main ground wire.

Originally Posted by mk378
Turn the lights on and watch to see if the whole car loses power (and then recovers) when you try to start. If it does it's probably a loose connection at a battery terminal or the main ground wire.

I have checks the battery terminals and they are all clean and solid. I'll be sure to do that at the next opportunity.

It appears as though the delay is less immediately after driving. Aka a shut off then in a minute or so turning back on.
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
My guess is either corrosion as already mentioned or a starter relay not operating correctly. An old diesel pickup I have does the same thing, turn the key and sometimes starts right away and other times there is a definite delay. Everytime it starts with a delay I hear a click from the starter relay right before it fires up.

That is interesting i will have to look at that. When i turn it i hear a click in the passenger side of the car which i assume is from the ecu and nothing else. I do not think that I have actually heard the relay in the fuse box. I think I replaced in awhile back but I'm not sure.

On my pickup the relay I'm referring to is the starter relay mounted on the passenger fender. It's just a 4 connection relay that allows high current to flow from the battery to the starter. When it clicks it's the electromagnet energizing and the contacts closing. The delay in some starts is the electromagnet not working correctly for whatever reason.

Try bypassing the clutch safety switch and see if it cranks right away. A buddy had this happen on his '04 Tib and I fixed it with a new clutch safety switch.

I found a new one for 10 bucks so I just decided to order it anyway. It's supposed to come in today so I'll let you guys know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back