ebay charging sales tax on everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they changed the law online sales and charging sales tax, but I still think that only refers to sales within the state. Is that incorrect? I live in texas. I just bought something that's coming from Kentucky and it looks like they charged me.

they charge the sales tax of the address the item is being sent to. there was some kind of court case a few years ago that allows states to collect tax

So even though Kentucky gets the money for the item, Texas gets the sales tax?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

yep. they have agreements these days on how to process the tax. there was a big dump about Palmetto State armory sharing 2018 sales info with states and the states sending notice of taxes owed. i got one in WA.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

Yes.

Amazon does the same thing, so any orders from them will have sales tax automatically added to final bill.

With the level if e-commerce these days, states saw that they were losing millions of sales tax dollars, and found a way to collect sales tax from anyone in the state buying products fron out of state - at least from mega sellers like Amazon and eBay. I'd be surprised if there are states that don't this today.

I think all this started in September or October of this year. I got several e-mails from online sites telling me this was coming,
As said, there was a federal case about it and now online sites are required to collect sales tax for the state you live in, even if you are buying from out of state.
Not sure if it applies to things purchased from over-seas (like alibaba).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
With the level if e-commerce these days, states saw that they were losing millions of sales tax dollars, and found a way to collect sales tax from anyone in the state buying products fron out of state - at least from mega sellers like Amazon and eBay. I'd be surprised if there are states that don't this today.

IIRC decades ago there was a ruling in favor of SEARS over their not collecting sales tax on orders fulfilled via the SEARS catalog. With the likes of Amazon opening up fulfillment centers all over the US, and some retail stores began fulfilling online orders the states ended up with a better argument. I assume technology makes the collection much simpler.

You've always been responsible for paying tax on mail order purchases.

At least in Kentucky, our state income tax form has a line for "use tax", which is essentially a place for you to pay sales tax you weren't charged at the time of purchase.

For a long time now, retailers with a physical presence in your state have been required to collect sales tax on mail order. Amazon was the big one since they're everywhere, but I've run into it with Best Buy, Cabelas, and a few others. In fact, it was kind of a big deal with Cabelas built their first physical location in Kentucky because of this.

A more recent court case required retailers to charge destination sales tax. Most big retailers started doing it late last year. Ebay has only started doing it in the last few months-Ebay itself collects the sales tax and remits it to the appropriate state. The seller has no involvement in it.

No Sales Tax in NH
smile.gif

But Meals and Hospitality is a whopping 9%

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Blame the state of South Dakota for taking the issue all the way to the Supreme Court.

South Dakotans think their state has low tax because there's no income tax, but that sales tax includes services of all kinds and the whole thing resembles a value added tax. My college roommate got a job in the mid-eighties auditing out of state contractors and they would do audits based on how the pennant race was running so they could get in plenty of games. Said he fellow employee (who I went to high school with) used to show up for audits carrying golf clubs.

Think the Supreme Court decision which took sales tax away came out of North Dakota, so the Dakotas give and the Dakotas take away.

Texas doesn't have the 1 percent income tax wither or whatever it is so they get us on everything else. Property taxes, etc.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I think all this started in September or October of this year. I got several e-mails from online sites telling me this was coming,
As said, there was a federal case about it and now online sites are required to collect sales tax for the state you live in, even if you are buying from out of state.
Not sure if it applies to things purchased from over-seas (like alibaba).

Aliexpress charges sales tax to CA now.

besides tax shown added on e-bat i see small other charges from them! items taxed improperly is likely just pocket $$$$

Originally Posted by CT8
The Beast has an insatiable appetite.

Indeed it does, if we fired 70% of all gov't employees We The People would be far better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back