World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you are like me, you're probably surprised the underdog Nats are up 2-0 on the Astros. I don't get it either. Who knows, maybe the Astros expended themselves taking out the Yankees, but what ever it is, they just lost two games at home using their two best pitchers. That has got to be demoralizing. Then again, baseball seems to be the sport in which the best teams don't win the most frequently. I can remember many post season series' where the best team lost. In '87, the Tigers had the best record in baseball and they played the Twins who had the worst record of any team in the post season, and the Twins won that series easily. Another one was when the A's played the Reds in the 1990 WS. The A's were a heavy favorite, but the Reds swept them. Maybe winning these series' is more about which team is hot at the time rather than which team is better...either way, it doesn't look good for Houston right now...

Being an overwhelming "favorite" can give a team a fatal case of over confidence. The Nationals have never gone this far... And they are HUNGRY. Now they are starting to taste what victory actually does taste like. It will only make them hungrier. The Astros can still pull this off. But they now have a big hill to climb.

Like most sporting events it only takes 1 bad play or 1 great play to change the whole outcome. Look at the Braves that gave up a pile of runs in the first inning of game 7. That was the end of the game before it even begun.

But since the Braves can;t win the Nats are my 2nd time I root for. So go Nats!!!

Had not even thought of that. I was thinking the parade in DC everyone can wear their Harper nationals uniforms while the parade goes by.
smile.gif

1) If the Nats win, Montreal will be mentioned in the team's historical timeline as it is where the franchise began.

2) Given the low attendance in Tampa the Rays mentioned playing some of their home games in other cities, Montreal being one of them.

If Washington is victorious, I conclude we'll see inter-league play in Montreal between Tampa and The Nats.

If the old Olympic Stadium is deigned too ugly, then I don't know.

Originally Posted by Kira
1) If the Nats win, Montreal will be mentioned in the team's historical timeline as it is where the franchise began.

2) Given the low attendance in Tampa the Rays mentioned playing some of their home games in other cities, Montreal being one of them.

If Washington is victorious, I conclude we'll see inter-league play in Montreal between Tampa and The Nats.

If the old Olympic Stadium is deigned too ugly, then I don't know.

Not gonna happen. The Rays have a pretty rock solid lease with the city of St Pete through 2027, they literally can't even look across the bridge at a home depot for parts without city permission

Last edited:
The turning point of the WS was (believe it or not) in Game 1 when the Astros could not finish with a W even after Wash had used up their ace Scherzer and leaned heavily on their bull pen. Max Scherzer had to burn through over 20 pitches per inning, while Cole cruised along with 12-14, but Wash still won. Now, the roles have totally flipped with the Astros 0-2 and headed to DC with pitching depleted.

I think Houston wins 1 but Wash closes the Series out at home. I have to salute them, they deserve to win it all.

Originally Posted by Kira

Here's hoping. The Expos were well out in front in '94 (https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/1994-standings.shtml) before the powers-that-be mysteriously fast-tracked a strike; prompting cynics everywhere to note the lower TV ratings just a couple of years prior during the Blue Jays-dominated World Series. Being a small market team (more accurately: being a large market with a small interest in baseball... Vive les Habitants!), they had a virtual fire sale of their substantial pool of talent and never recovered.

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
What about the 66 or was it the 67 series when the "Amazing" Mets beat the heavy favorite Orioles in four straight.

That is what you call an upset.

It was the 1969 Amazing METS. And you're right, it was 4 straight games after the O's won the 1st game.
No one expected this to happen including me.

The next year('70/'71) the city of Baltimore was on fire. Check this out.

The Orioles won the World Series
The Colts won the Super Bowl
The Bullets won the NBA Championship
The Clippers won the AHL Calder Cup

Last edited:
Meh, the Expos had trouble with attendance.. and i don't assume it'd be any different today. I was hoping for a world series win in 94, what a team that was, simply remarkable. If they do build a new stadium and actually get a team back here, they might get good attendance for a couple of years until poor performance drives attendance down again.

I'm pulling for the Nationals, that franchise had a lot of rough years in Montreal as the Expos, I would expect at least a minor celebration in Montreal if the Nationals pull it off. Vive le Expos Nationals!

I still find it hard to believe that they get paid MILLIONS and MMMMIIIILLLLIIIOOOONNNNSSSS to play a kids game that most of played in our back yards for FREE

I don't watch it
Baseball really is boring at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back