First UOA, 2019 Jeep Wrangler, Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20, 4306 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by doyall
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
... The 3.6L typically does not have an issue with dilution ...
The numerous gas chromatography test results on my wife's 2017 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L (some posted, most not) beg to differ.
I have 2 short OCIs thus far tested by Polaris (who is ISO certified and uses gas chromatography) that have zero fuel dilution. Operating conditions can vary fuel dilution widely, but most of the UOAs that I have seen do not show the 3.6L to be a fuel dilution monster as compared to DI engines.

... do not show the 3.6L to be a fuel dilution monster as compared to DI engines.

Agreed. As I said in my first post, it is not a big deal.

This is a good thread to see.
We have a 2018 JL we purchased new, march '18. 9k on the clock, 2 oil changes. First at 4500 (valvoline 0-20 syn) 2nd at 9k (dealer supplied syn) < free courtesy change.

It is running 37s and the 0-20 concerns me in the summer heat/hill country we live in.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by J_mo
We have a 2018 JL we purchased new, march '18. 9k on the clock, 2 oil changes. First at 4500 (valvoline 0-20 syn) 2nd at 9k (dealer supplied syn) < free courtesy change.

It is running 37s and the 0-20 concerns me in the summer heat/hill country we live in.

Any thoughts?

According to Shell, these are the conditions that the oil was designed for.

2. What is the difference between this oil and a regular PCMO you make like Pennzoil Platinum or Conventional Pennzoil?
a. Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions like stop-and-go driving, sludge forming environments, extensive idling, heavy hauling and towing, rugged terrain and extreme hot and cold temperatures. This is a full synthetic product and is formulated differently than Pennzoil Platinum. The chemical composition of the products is quite different. Both Pennzoil Platinum and Shell Rotella Gas Truck are full synthetic motor oils with a modern package of additives meeting the latest API SN PLUS requirements. Shell Rotella Gas Truck is specifically formulated with higher levels of antioxidant to protect the larger vehicle engine. This enables the oil to cope with the more stressful and hotter operating conditions, often encountered by truck and SUV owners. However, both products you referenced provide a very strong level of protection for passenger car engines.

32.gif

I'm in a similar situation but with a direct injection turbo vehicle that has favored higher HTHS oils in the past. The 2019 Subaru Ascent was the first turbocharged Subaru to spec a 0W-20 so there isn't exactly a long history. There's no doubt in my mind that Subaru Japan would allow thicker viscosity in this engine, although Subaru Japan does not provide my warranty.
cry.gif
There are actually a lot of WRX's out there running GF5 oils with the operating viscosity of a 20 grade anyway.

Have faith in the vehicle manufacturer and their recommendations??
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
Copper seems high to me.

Nope; my first UOA had more than double that amount. The oil cooler contributes to the copper.

Mine was even higher. The oil cooler is copper and it takes a while for it to taper off.

Originally Posted by J_mo

Any thoughts?

Jeez, I've only had my 2019 since July and already have 9500 miles on it.

I also wonder about 0w-20 in the heat of the high desert when I'm off road or hauling my little travel trailer. I've seen coolant temps as high at 226 and oil temps up to 240. I'm considering 5w-30 in the summer.

CB
Isn't there an oil viscosity range chart in your owners manual? Does it include 5w30 for the 1-2% population of Jeep owners that must deal with desert heat?

I almost bought the new 2020 Jeep Gladiator P/U in October. My short wife struggled too much to enter it. So between her struggles and my struggles that I didn't really need any pickup trucks anymore, the Jeep idea got nixed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
CB
Isn't there an oil viscosity range chart in your owners manual? Does it include 5w30 for the 1-2% population of Jeep owners that must deal with desert heat?

I almost bought the new 2020 Jeep Gladiator P/U in October. My short wife struggled too much to enter it. So between her struggles and my struggles that I didn't really need any pickup trucks anymore, the Jeep idea got nixed.

Pre-PUG manuals "allowed" for 5w30, PUG equipped models recommend 0w20 for all operating conditions. The 2.0 calls for 5w30... interestingly both the 2.0 and 3.6 have ESS. I'd run 0/5w30 with no worries personally, or even a 0w40.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
CB

Pre-PUG manuals "allowed" for 5w30, PUG equipped models recommend 0w20 for all operating conditions. The 2.0 calls for 5w30... interestingly both the 2.0 and 3.6 have ESS. I'd run 0/5w30 with no worries personally, or even a 0w40.

Why?

CB

No, my manual says 0w-20 is "recommended" for all driving conditions. Note it does not say required. I'd love to see the viscosity recommendations for outside of the US. My last two vehicles recommended 5w-20 in the US but foreign viscosity recommendations were up to 15w-40 in one and 20w-50 in the other according to their respective viscosity charts.

I think I'm going to run 5w-30 in the summer time. I can't help getting a little concerned when towing my TT up a long grade on a 100 degree day and watching the oil temp get to 240ish.

You should have got the Gladiator. They're pretty cool. And running boards are available for short folks.
smile.gif

Last edited:
They don't get the 3.6 in the UK, but in Australia/NZ, Jeep specifies 5w20 in the 3.6 on the JL, and that is the PUG engine. There does not appear to have been any version of the PUG sold anywhere in the world that specifies greater than a 20 weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Skippy722
CB

Why?

Some people like thicker oil, and I'm running Castrol 0w40 in my pre-pug 3.6. Purely subjective, but it seems to run a little quieter and a little smoother than it ever did on 0w20 or 5w20.

Thicker is better. Also look at Penzoil 0W40 available at Walmart.com. I would not run 20 anything. At least 30 but probably 40

Originally Posted by Navi
Thicker is better. Also look at Penzoil 0W40 available at Walmart.com. I would not run 20 anything. At least 30 but probably 40

You have nothing to back this statement up and the SAE study which explains how this is not true is in your last thread. Spitting nonsense does no one any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back