Possibility of a dedicated sports section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean. We have sections for firearms, cooking, bicycles, etc. I believe everyone here is civil enough to be okay with a sports forum where we can talk about today's happenings or whatnot in MLB, NFL, NCAA, etc?

Weve had a few sports related posts in the general off topic section. Figured it would be cool to have a little area where we can talk about games/etc.

Last edited:
There are many new sections that have been suggested. Trailer, separate brakes, battery. But so far I have not seen a change in the sections that I can remember. Electric vehicles might be another.

One could also make the point that several current sections do not fit in a forum for cars and lubrication.

Never quite understood why people get all excited about sports teams and their millionaire players. I doubt that even half of those folks ever go out and throw around a football themselves or shoot a hoop.

The internet is already awash with sports forums. They are not hard to find. Just for televised mixed martial arts alone there is probably a dozen of them. I could do without another one. There is already a General section here to talk about sports or whatever you like.

As for the "but what about?" questions: if the site owners did not want there to be a Firearms forum here, there would not be one. There has been one here since it started. They used to operate another website specifically about guns so it is safe to say that they have a keen interest in guns, and the guns forum is grandfathered here. It is also a very active forum here.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Never quite understood why people get all excited about sports teams and their millionaire players. I doubt that even half of those folks ever go out and throw around a football themselves or shoot a hoop.

I've found that most sports "fanatics" (you know, the ones who constantly wear team jerseys, apparel, etc, and never shut up about their team(s)) don't have any other hobbies to keep them busy or make them feel a part of a community. In other words, it gives them an identity.

I vote for electric cars and sports though I wouldn't participate in Sports unless it has a several section for NFL, specifically I'm interested in the Eagles.

I post on two sports forums: one from a mid-major team that's my alma mater and another for NCAA Div. 2 cause that's what the local school is, on that one I spend a fair amount of time talking to myself, even though I don't have much knowledge. I see no reason why this forum should spread out to another non-related to cars section, especially something as generic as sports. Electric cars, OTOH......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
I see no reason why this forum should spread out to another non-related to cars section, especially something as generic as sports.

I see this on just about every forum, no matter what it's "specialty" is. They, or their members, seem to think maybe they can keep people here and they won't go anywhere else so give them everything they are looking for. This site is no different.... at least you'd think so based on the name yet there are sub-forums for guns, cooking, bicycles, computers, etc. It's always a case of where does one draw the line ? Following the current setup, no one can argue against a sports forum. Or if someone wants a sub-forum for house plants, add it too. Add a sub-forum for home improvement as well.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

I've found that most sports "fanatics" (you know, the ones who constantly wear team jerseys, apparel, etc, and never shut up about their team(s)) don't have any other hobbies to keep them busy or make them feel a part of a community. In other words, it gives them an identity.

Nah. I have plenty of hobbies, as does the people on here who have been posting World Series and College Football posts on the off topic sub forum, since you know, were on a car forum, our hobbies obviously include car related things as well.

Some people would rather watch live sports on television or attend sporting events other than watching reality tv shows or some "new" CBS 80s remake/rehash.

And this sports forum doesn't even necessarily need to be exclusive to watching players on television! Play Rugby? Post about it! Kiddos in little league? Post about it!

Dont like sports? Dont participate in the sub forum, simple as that. I'm sure theres people on here that hate cooking, bicycles, or guns, I'm sure they dont participate in the sub forums for those.

Anyway, whoever mentioned a Home Improvement sub forum that's also a great idea. Itll free up space in both general off topic sub forum as well as the tool forum. I've seen so many water heater and plumbing questions on the general off topic sub forum it would be great to have one.

Last edited:
Absolutely not
lol.gif

I think a fishing, whale, etc forum would be cool. Deer and Elk/Moose too but no jackalop.

I agree, but know people like it.
I am for it because it would keep sports talk out of OT.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

I see this on just about every forum, no matter what it's "specialty" is. They, or their members, seem to think maybe they can keep people here and they won't go anywhere else so give them everything they are looking for. This site is no different.... at least you'd think so based on the name yet there are sub-forums for guns, cooking, bicycles, computers, etc. It's always a case of where does one draw the line ? ...

I agree, I think a nice "one stop shop" is a good thing. I am not into some things enough to get on a specific forum for it, but if there is a sub-forum on a site I am already on and have a familiarity with, then all the better.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
... Add a sub-forum for home improvement as well.

I actually had thought about requesting this. There are a lot of OT posts about home improvement/repair, and having a specific place to discuss it would be something I would use for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back