VGA Brand Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears to be a private label filter sold by a Canadian auto parts importer. Almost no specs to be seen. No offense, but I'd have more confidence in a more run of the mill brand, like Supertech. But I realize different brands are sold in Canada.

What is the country of origin?

I have sworn many times in the past to never run a Chinese oil filter, and I still have no desire to.

The filters coming from South Korea are fantastic, though.....
Many have speculated they are actually made in North Korea in "joint factories" and shipped across the border.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The filters coming from South Korea are fantastic, though.....
Many have speculated they are actually made in North Korea in "joint factories" and shipped across the border.

Not to get too off topic but this is the first time I have ever heard of oil filters (or really any common consumer product) being manufactured in North Korea and exported via South Korea to markets such as North America. I don't think that the ROK is keen on doing the DPRK any favors even if they can have goods produced in the North for what would likely only be marginally less than the production cost coming from their primary trade partner, China.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Ignatius
this is the first time I have ever heard of oil filters (or really any common consumer product) being manufactured in North Korea and exported via South Korea .

The Kaesong Industrial Region (KIR) or Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-22011178

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...outh-invested-factory-zone-idUSKBN1CB0VR

I do recall hearing about this come to think of it but I thought it was more of a venture for heavier industry, not for cheap consumer goods. Perhaps we need to adopt the mindset that if a product says "Made in/Product of Korea" like OEM Hyundai oil filters they very well could have been made in North Korea.

I have noticed this distinction, my phone I am using to type this is Made in/Product of Republic of (South) Korea.

…..Perhaps we need to adopt the mindset that if a product says "Made in/Product of Korea" like OEM Hyundai oil filters they very well could have been made in North Korea.
'Imo', that seems a tad extreme. Seeing as Hyun/Kia Oem spin on filters are manufactured by Mann (M&H) I don't believe I'm going too far out on a limb saying they are made in S Korea. So while others are welcome to adopt a mindset of their choice, at least when it comes to Hyun/Kia OEM and other "name brand" filters saying Made in Korea, I will assume default to S Korea manufacture.

As for topic filter, my first guess would have been China coo. I would say if coo or anything else unknown about filter a real concern, choose another filter. Doing a google search seems topic brand, another post here also seems to show a connection to sale in Canada. I can't find any dissections of the VGA brand.

Just to add to the confusion, it's possible that some components of the filter are made in No Kor but the assembly is in So Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back