Rebluing an old S&W revolver, can anyone match original finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

I have an old S&W Model 19 from 1966 the bluing is worn off right around the cylinder release. There is a small amount if surface rust but I take it off with Nevr-Dull. Corrosion is not the issue. Is there a refinishing service that can duplicate the original bluing of a 1960's S&W? I ask because Smith can't, the quality of finish and depth of bluing on their new revolvers is not even close to mine. They must have changed the process or formula or just lost the skill. Know any gunsmiths can refinish an old one so it is exact?

Might try Turnbull Restoration Co., Inc.

FWIW it is probable that the differences you see in newer finishes is largely due to polish... and you want someone that is very good doing it...

It will probably cost more than a new revolver...

It's not going to be cost effective to do a high quality bluing job on a common revolver. Shoot the old girl as is and put the money towards another revolver in better shape.

Fords would be my go-to on anything older S&W.

I've never personally sent anything to them, but have owned guns that were reblued by them. Their work is excellent, and they can generally redo S&W stamps and roll marks. From what I've seen, they do a better job than the factory when it comes to older stuff.

Last edited:
S&W bluing on the older revolvers was gorgeous. I had been looking for years for a Model 10 M&P with 4" barrel. Finally saw one on GunsInternational and pictures looked great. Called seller and he said lowly Model 10 was left over from a huge estate sale and confirmed advertised condition. FFL gunsmith opened package and checked revolver. He said it had never been fired and there wasn't a scratch or blemish one on it. S&W Model 10 vintage 1970s. $360.00+$30.00 shipping.

This is based on what you want to pay.

Also, do not judge what S&W can do buy looking at retail revolvers the sell these days. They are very competitively priced on refinishing, go to their web site but look at their premium bluing service.

Turnbull is the gold standard for restorations - and that's more what they do "restoration" and not refinishing. Ford's is the next best. But, it takes about several "K" dollars to get a gun that looks almost as good as the factory finish. You just can't hid a refinish IME. maybe Turnbull can (not that try/misrepresent finish), and Ford could if you paid for the whole roll-mark re-stamping.

A '66 19 is a nice gun, but unless it's otherwise minty and has the original box and kit (or very desirable like a 2.5" bble - if they had that yet in '66 - a 2.5" 19/66 s one of my favorite handguns) - it's not worth those prices to mess with it. I would (and have on guns like that), cleaned the bluing with Flitz/Mother's/etc, etched the metal slightly w/a weak acid, then heat (up to like 200F in the oven) it a little and apply cold bluing. Repeat the heat/cold bluing cycle three to five times and it's going to look good and blend well unless it's a really high-wear area like the muzzle and you holster a lot, front strap and you're sweaty and shoot a lot, etc.

This thread is an excellent candidate for pictures.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied. Actually I am off by 6 years it turns out to be a 1972 from the S&W factory serial number lookup. It is a Model 19-3 built in Springfield, Massachusetts and the original owner was a Massachusetts state trooper. I don't have the box and I bought it used in 1978 first handgun I ever bought, and it came to me with rubber (Pachmyr?) grips not the original For me, it is sentimental value only not collector value. The thing is the action and trigger were tuned by the S&W factory gunsmiths, for this trooper after he bought it, who competed with it, and both the double- and single-action trigger pull are exceptional. The revolver is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. It has the lightest and smoothest trigger pull of a Smith that I have ever shot, I want to restore the appearance to match the way it shoots. I have no illusions though about resale value. I have owned it for 41 years and just wish I had cared for it better. I shot the bluing off it. It still has the Bianchi holster that came with it.

Realistically I should take the advice to "just shoot the old girl" and polish it up best as can be done. But it would look better refinished due to the loss of bluing and some surface rust I would like to get cleaned up by a pro who loves old Smiths. I can't say money is no object but I am willing to pay for quality work, more than either the revolver is worth now or what it will be worth even if beautifully restored. It still shoots fantastic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OK, clearer now what your goals are.

Two way to go in my mind:

a) put a nice tough finish on it and not worry again - send it to Mahovsky's Metalife in PA and have it hard-chromed (no, it's not shiny). Incredibly durable, pleasant looking, takes abuse well. I've had two guns, one a S&W 15 very much like that one, I bought used as an LE turn-in gun. I took it to Cogan Custum/APW because they were local to me (Fl, before they moved to AL). Loved it. Last time I checked, Mahoksky's had the quality/price edge on this service in most people's opinion:

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

b) For bluing, actually do check S&W. They are not far from you and offer good quality work and various levels to match your price and wishes.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/performance-center-precision-gunsmithing

If you send it to them, send it in w/o the grips. They'll send it back with some appropriate repro wood grips, most likely, no charge.

The cost to get a reblue that is anything like the original finish is prohibitive. I understand the attachment to the gun, but it might be better to enjoy this "shooter" as is and buy another similar gun that is pretty.

Originally Posted by ledslinger
The cost to get a reblue that is anything like the original finish is prohibitive. I understand the attachment to the gun, but it might be better to enjoy this "shooter" as is and buy another similar gun that is pretty.

And stainless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back