'03 Suburban Quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Fitz98
I also have a startup noise like you describe, sounds like after 1 cycle of the pistons it is gone, which I thought was just oil leaking down. It makes me cringe every time. It does it each day, worse when left to sit for a couple days. I park my truck front up up on a slight incline if that matters. Another thing I notice that it is worse as the summer is getting hotter here in Florida. I notice you are in CA, so maybe it is temperature related? I also have a bad knock sensor that eventually needs replacement, don't know if it is related or not.

I also just had my driver side Cat converter cut out of my '03 Suburban. Sounded like a rapping rod.
Not saying that is what your problem could be, but mine started very gradually, initially only slight sound coming from what seemed drivers side engine compartment at cold startup and went away when it heated up. It got worse each day and eventually I had it removed. Inside the honeycomb material came loose and was broken. Maybe you are hearing a piece of that material against the cat converter housing?
You could tap the converter with a hammer to see if you can duplicate that noise.

I had the same cat noise in my 03 Avalanche, which is a suburban with a bed.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Um no. If anything it's closer to a Tahoe. But still the suspension spring lots other things are different.

The Tahoe is shorter with a 116" wheelbase vs. Suburban and Avalanche with 130". There are different suspension packages for both, Z66 vs Z71 ect.

Is there a track record of 03 Suburbans having leaking oil filters? When I had the mechanic do the oil back in February, the new filter leaked, though strangely stopped leaking somewhere between 3k and 4k. I changed the oil the other day at dead on 4k, simply because I don't know when I'll have the next opportunity for a while, and I'd rather short change than go past a target mileage.

At any rate, the filter the mechanic installed leaked, just a few drops, and I'm guessing only under pressure because the spot on the driveway was about the size of a silver dollar. The leak drops less than a pint of oil in 4k miles. Fast forward to today, oil changed 3 days ago, checked this morning and the filter is covered in oil. The new filter is a Fram, I forget the number but it's the one spec'd for an 03 Burb.

I inspected the old filter gasket, it seemed fine. I always wipe down the mating surface on the block and there were no burrs or irregularities to be seen or felt, new filter's gasket looked fine, yet it's leaking. Is this a "Burb" thing? Is it an "03" thing? Was there a particular run of 5.3 that were prone to oil leaks? And I guess the more important question is, what can be done about it?

And while we're on the topic of filters, what kind of oil filter wrench do you guys like/recommend. I have channel locks at the moment, but want something that can tighten the filter without damaging it. I was looking at tools today, the band clamp style doesn't look like it will get small enough to work on today's micro sized filters. The pliers type, while aiding getting the filter off, would also damage the filter during the installation. I used to have a cup style that worked pretty well, but that went the way of the wind several years ago.

It's probably leaking from the oil cooler line connector or block off plate located just above the filter housing. Common leak point.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
It's probably leaking from the oil cooler line connector or block off plate located just above the filter housing. Common leak point.

When the mechanic did the work last February, I took it in, we put it on a lift and he said the same thing. I was standing there when he lightly tightened that plate and wiped things down. That area stays dry, while the filter itself gets wet and forms a drip.

The weird thing here is that it wasn't leaking when I bought it, only after the oil change. Then it leaked for 3000+ miles and seemed to self heal because it wasn't leaking at 4000 miles when I changed the oil a few days ago. Now it's leaking again.

Okay then it's probably nothing. Just the way it is with the filter in its position snug against the oil pan. Performing my own oil changes I see it with my 6.0. Which is the same configuration. Mysterious oil on the filter and a few drips. Happens more If you change it fresh off the street it's going to make a mess as the oil ahead of the anti drain back valve gushes out and runs down the oil pan. You will also get some in the crossmember just below it. The result of that is days of dripping down the oil pan and around it. To prove this go into a car wash spray booth and give it a blast under there. Or even with the garden hose. And if it's what I think it is you won't see anything on the end of the oil filter after spraying down the area around the filter real good

Just completed a 700 mile trip, pulling a fully loaded 7x16' trailer. Other than grunting here and there on a few hills, the Burb handled it with flying colors. No oil consumption, no deviation in operating temperature under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back