Wix 51515XP Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally bought the filter cutter that I've always wanted, and this is the first one I used it on.

This is a Wix 51515XP that was run on a 2007 Chrysler Hemi 5.7L V8 for 18,000 miles.

The media appears to have held up really well. There's no damage that I can see and the pleats are still very straight. The media feels firm to the touch which I assume is because of the mesh backing.

The all metal bypass valve and the coil spring instead of a leaf spring are nice touches.

Overall, I think this is a durable and well made filter for a good price.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Uh-oh. Adam has competition! On a side note, after a recent incident, I think I may be in the market for a filter cutter. What did you buy Pyro?

Originally Posted by tony1679
Uh-oh. Adam has competition! On a side note, after a recent incident, I think I may be in the market for a filter cutter. What did you buy Pyro?

Pyro: nice c&p sir
smile.gif

Filter looks very good.
In the third pic, I saw what looked like a small grey area. Can you tell what that is? Oil, glue, ????

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Pyro: nice c&p sir
smile.gif

I guess I should also ask our resident expert what his cutter of choice is...
confused.gif

Tony: I use a Longacre
smile.gif

Yes me too Adam could you tell me where you found your replacement cutting wheel for your Longacre. I couldn't find one on their site.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic

This is a Wix 51515XP that was run on a 2007 Chrysler Hemi 5.7L V8 for 18,000 miles.

The media appears to have held up really well. There's no damage that I can see .....

Looks good. But are you holding a UOA so we can see an insol %.

I would comment that the dome end bypass could be a concern on a long interval.

thanks for the analysis.

- Ken

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

The media appears to have held up really well. There's no damage that I can see .....

I would comment that the dome end bypass could be a concern on a long interval.

thanks for the analysis.

- Ken

No UOA unfortunately. I would like to do one in the future though if the cost is reasonable.

I agree about the dome end bypass. If this filter had a threaded end bypass it would be a home run. The higher flow rate that synthetic media has over cellulose may be helpful in keeping the bypass valve closed, but that's just a theory.

I bought a Caterpillar 175-7546. It has two cutting wheels and is USA made. It opens up enough to cut large diameter hydraulic filters. You can buy it from your local CAT dealer, and they also have replacement cutting wheels and other parts available for it. I paid $71.99 for it.

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/175-7546

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
smile.gif

Yes me too Adam could you tell me where you found your replacement cutting wheel for your Longacre. I couldn't find one on their site.

Johnny: I havent had to change out a cutting wheel on my Longacre
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I've compared many BITOG posted UOA insoluble % to UOA particle count data, and there's no correlation. Insoluble % isn't telling anything valuable about filter performance.

Originally Posted by paulri
Filter looks very good.
In the third pic, I saw what looked like a small grey area. Can you tell what that is? Oil, glue, ????

I took another look in different lighting and I can't find that grey spot. I think it might have been a reflection from the flash or something of that nature.

thanks for looking. I've used Wix for a couple of years now, was interested to verify that it wasn't a gap of some kind.

Originally Posted by paulri
Filter looks very good.

I took another look in different lighting and I can't find that grey spot. I think it might have been a reflection from the flash or something of that nature.

Last edited:
Update: I decided to dig deeper into the filter media and dissect it further.

I wasn't able to rip or tear the media at all with my fingers. Next, I scored one of the pleats with a razor blade and began to peel it back, but it seemed somewhat stuck to the mesh backing. Once I had it started, I tried to pull back on the media hoping it would tear out and unravel. Nope. Unless I score the media with a razor first, it will not rip or tear. After I got some of the media pulled up, it appears to be two distinct layers. Based on how difficult it was to physically damage this filter, the media itself seems to be extremely durable.

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Looks good, but I can't justify that price tag. Anything still good that's cheaper? Obviously I'm not talking $10, but maybe more like $40? I think I already know the answer to this question though. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back