wemay

Site Donor 2023
Jalopnik: We're Really Doing This, Huh.
https://jalopnik.com/were-really-doing-this-huh-1839290802

Screenshot_20191023-190415_Google News.jpg

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
[Linked Image]

lol.gif

I actually don't think the Grill looks half bad.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Now THATs funny⬆ï¸â¬†ï¸â¬†ï¸â¬†ï¸ðŸ§â¬†ï¸

At minimum.... That is a post of the month winner
lol.gif

Definitely in the running for post of the year...

Last edited:
This is the ummm "genius" responsible for these idiotic grills.
The guys name is Adrian Van Hooydonk...seriously that is his last name you cannot make this stuff up.
He's Dutch and as arrogant as can be as well. He should be fired. Bangle was bad this guy is horrific!

Originally Posted by edyvw
Bangle at least had some sense. This guy is out of control.

Bangle was seen as mad man at the time but retroactively was definitely a trendsetter.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Bangle at least had some sense. This guy is out of control.

Bangle was seen as mad man see the time but retroactively was definitely a trendsetter.

Bangle had some odd ideas and I never liked his styling but this guy Hooptie Donk only seems to have an interest in big grills and could care less about the rest of the car.

Thing is with BMW they were at their best when their styling was very conservative and the actual driving dynamics, performance, and durability of the cars was top notch.
That was probably from the early 80s- early 2000s, with the early-late 90s being best overall. Today they are a shell of their former selves.

Now they are the "Ultimate Leasing Machines".

The only thing BMW has left that is a real drivers vehicle is the 2 series, that's it. It's still good but I bet not for much longer.

Last edited:
I still think BMW has conservative styling and is The Ultimate Driving Machine when compared to its contemporaries.

There is a lot of garishly styled, horrible to drive stuff out there right now.

I still think BMW has conservative styling and is The Ultimate Driving Machine when compared to its contemporaries.

Most of what they sell today is over priced, over complicated, and over engineered junk. The typical BMW of the late 80s and 90s runs circles around the current cars in terms of durability and reliability, I was around for their "golden days" and can tell you that the cars they produce today with a rare exception are no where near as good an all around product as they were back then. I will say the 2 is still very good, but the reliability of that isn't great and servicing is expensive.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Most of what they sell today is over priced, over complicated, and over engineered junk. The typical BMW of the late 80s and 90s runs circles around the current cars in terms of durability and reliability, I was around for their "golden days" and can tell you that the cars they produce today with a rare exception are no where near as good an all around product as they were back then. I will say the 2 is still very good, but the reliability of that isn't great and servicing is expensive.

I owned 80's BMW, I owned 90's BMW, and 2000' BMW. They set a trend that everyone fallows. What BMW has now will find its way in Hyundai in 10 years or more.
You are oversimplifying this. The North American market is unique due to very, very cheap gas. That allows a lot of manufacturers to offer very simple cars that are by shear nature of the beast very reliable. BMW could do same. Put M54 engine in 3 series, improve some stuff and there you go. Problem is that BMW is trend setter, and domestic market and biggest market is not the US. If you are going to compare BMW reliability with other, compare it where other offer complex engines, and that is European market where gas is $6-8 per gallon. You will see that Germans still rule the market, reliability wise and by sale. By the way, my 2013 BMW X5 35d was far more reliable than my Toyota Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D I have in Europe.
I would agree though that BMW with introduction of F series tried to please customers of Lexus, Audi, Mercedes etc. They wanted too much, instead of doing what they are really good at. However, F30 3 series, regardless as being probably worst driving 3 series ever built, is far better driving machine in that class than anything else with an exception of Alfa Romeo Gulia. And F30 actually proved to be reliable, with some known issues on N55 (water pump) or N20 (chain tensioner in early years).
I think that BMW is trying now to get back on the trck with more driving focused machines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD

I will say the 2 is still very good, but the reliability of that isn't great and servicing is expensive.

I've had my F22 for going on three years; early on I had the auxiliary cooling fan replaced under warranty- aside from that the car has performed flawlessly on both road and track. Service costs have been the same or possibly a bit less than that of my 2007 MS3.

This ugly and over-sized grill trend needs to pass like a kidney stone....along with the black wheels trend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back