Valvoline and Pennzoil 0w-20 in 2014 Honda Odyssey, ~5-6k each

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Two with Valvoline, one with Pennzoil platinum. Interesting to see the drastic change in Copper, and also to see Ni show up. The K in the earliest sample is concerning, but seems to be nothing. Interesting to see the Na drop between Valvoline runs, I suspect that is due to the SN Plus changeover?

This is a DI engine and sees mostly around town commuting with sporadic long trips. Surprised viscosity was maintained so well, don't think fuel is an issue.
[Linked Image]

Did you add a moly additive? That first Valvoline with the sodium has a big chunk of moly too. Valvoline didn't have that at the time.

The P/Zn seems to be off on all of the recent samples (the Mobil 1 UOA's too).
21.gif

Originally Posted by buster
The P/Zn seems to be off on all of the recent samples (the Mobil 1 UOA's too).
21.gif

I wonder if the samples got swapped?

Originally Posted by ctechbob
If I'm not mistaken, that isn't a DI engine. J35Z8 was port fuel injected.

You're probably right....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Did you add a moly additive? That first Valvoline with the sodium has a big chunk of moly too. Valvoline didn't have that at the time.

I had run Lubeguard biotech in there at low doses in the past. I e run out and not bought more but there maybe residual in the early UOA.

This latest Pennzoil is from pre-2018 shelf stock, high Calcium there. Same for the first Valvoline but not the second Valvoline.
No Universal Averages for that engine available, so no way to see if those Iron numbers are too high or not. I thought most Honda engines should be about 1 to 2 ppm per 1k miles.

Originally Posted by paoester
This latest Pennzoil is from pre-2018 shelf stock, high Calcium there. Same for the first Valvoline but not the second Valvoline.
No Universal Averages for that engine available, so no way to see if those Iron numbers are too high or not. I thought most Honda engines should be about 1 to 2 ppm per 1k miles.

Note the sample dates, these aren't recent.

This is a short commute vehicle.

Here's a UOA I found with lubeguard in it. The results show it doesn't elevate Zn and P. And, for the van, when I ran it would have been the older samples before I ran out. Those show normal Zn and P.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2641492#Post2641492

I think there's fouling or miscalibration of a machine that has been used repeatedly for my samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back