2019 Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
The Golf R is just about the only AWD car I'd consider if I was going to replace my M235i.

But the used price? Holy moly.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The Golf R is just about the only AWD car I'd consider if I was going to replace my M235i.

What's wrong with its used price? It's a lower volume "cult" car. Like the FJ cruiser, etc.

Originally Posted by madRiver
A guy buys a really exciting fun to drive car and the thread dissolves into above..........

----------------------------

I love the recent gen Golf R and honestly if I had cash in hand would be in my driveway. I love how much of a sleeper it appears.

It is the only car in that category that when you sit in it, you actually can feel that it is expensive. I think it would be even better if they just left those two exhaust pipes from previous MKVI gen. Those 4 pipes look kind of unnecessary.

A guy buys a really exciting fun to drive car and the thread dissolves into above..........

I love the recent gen Golf R and honestly if I had cash in hand would be in my driveway. I love how much of a sleeper it appears.

It is the only car in that category that when you sit in it, you actually can feel that it is expensive. I think it would be even better if they just left those two exhaust pipes from previous MKVI gen. Those 4 pipes look kind of unnecessary.

I have hopes for the new WRX STi as a much more refined creature.

Originally Posted by Ws6

What's wrong with its used price? It's a lower volume "cult" car. Like the FJ cruiser, etc.

I'm a big fan of the 2 year old/heavily depreciated euro car. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen w/the R's. I think the low volume sold and the high demand is likely the reason. I saw low mileage USED 2018's going for over MSRP, and on the west coast it was next to impossible to work out anything below MSRP. Cash in hand, most dealers just said straight up "we'll sell it to someone else at full price"...

so yeah, finding deals on these used is a bit tough.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm a big fan of the 2 year old/heavily depreciated euro car. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen w/the R's. I think the low volume sold and the high demand is likely the reason. I saw low mileage USED 2018's going for over MSRP, and on the west coast it was next to impossible to work out anything below MSRP. Cash in hand, most dealers just said straight up "we'll sell it to someone else at full price"...

so yeah, finding deals on these used is a bit tough.

Even VI gen is expensive. Less than 100k you cannot find anything below $15k.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I have hopes for the new WRX STi as a much more refined creature.

I would not hold my breath. When VW decided to go to current tolerances between parts in interior, they invested more than $2 billion in the beginning of 2000. Highly doubt Subaru will do that.

Seems to be some clean title 2016 golf R in the 25k range. Not too bad.

Originally Posted by dareo

Seems to be some clean title 2016 golf R in the 25k range. Not too bad.

Sure, but thing is for 25K one can get some really nice and fun cars, and M235i comes first to mind. I agree it is specialty market etc. Also, I think MKVII is not limited to 5,000 as MKVI was?

Finally arrived, not enough room in the prep area to get a good pic:

G r t.JPG

The Golf R is incredibly hard to beat in that it combines world class performance with everyday practicality.

Finally get her to the house and had a fun drive home, and then some.

My initial observations (in sport mode)

Pros:
1) very tight, visceral feel. surprisingly high noise level, not excessive, but noticeable. reminds me more of the Lotus then any of our other cars, but obviously not as minimal or harsh.
2) quick, very quick
3) simple, sensible controls. the cluster is one of the better consolidations of information that I have seen. center stack is also good. big font in the display...
4) solid doors, controls feel, etc. no rattles...and yes I've had them on new cars (Jeep)
5) good clutch feel, the progressive engagement begins relatively close to the floor

Cons:
1) touchy brakes, need to get used to them
2) noise, especially tire noise,..I don't mind it, but can see that some may
3) I read somewhere that the engine note, which is great, is piped in via the audio system. disappointing, but they did a nice job.

Interior pic and she fits in well w/ the fleet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks great man. I like those brakes. But if you personally don't, Akebono pads (I hate them) will solve your dust and "too responsive" issues.

Looks great! Whether unfounded or not, I stayed away from the blue, thinking that it would be more of a ticket magnet (afraid it would get confused for a WRX!)

No reason to deal with the stuff you don't like. If you pick up an OBD11, you can easily code out the fake engine noise (this was the second thing I did, after ditching the 19" wheels). You can reduce the level or just turn it off. The car still sounds good to me, but it's obviously a lot quieter.

The 3rd thing I did was change the front brake pads... The stock brake pads are really grabby and dust like crazy. These offer a more linear feel, still have plenty of bit, and a lot less dust: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-pad-set-trw-8v0698151c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back