Pressure washer hose keeps failing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...at the fitting.

My dad has a ~10 year old hot water Northern Tool pressure washer that keeps blowing the hose at the fitting. I was doing some work for my mom last summer and the hose blew. Took it to NAPA for a $15 repair with a hydraulic hose fitting and it only lasted about 5 minutes. They repaired it again for free and while I was using it last week it blew again. Is there a better method to repair this? A hose from the pump to heater blew 2 years ago. Took it to NAPA for the same repair and it's held up ever since.

This is the hose. I went ahead and bought another, but if there's anything I can do to keep the original I would like to do so.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632639_200632639

If the original hose is 10 years old, it is most likely dried out. It will keep breaking at the fitting because the material is dried out, and is cracking. Buy a new hose. You got your moneys worth out of the original.

hose is probably disintegrating, otherwise the unloader isnt sticking right?

Originally Posted by Rand

Assuming this is the bypass, I'm not sure.

How would I check?

Originally Posted by dlundblad

How would I check?

Listen to the engine when you let go of the trigger, if it winds down like someone let off the throttle then the unloader is working. If it bogs down like it's trying to build pressure then the unloader is sticking.

I capitalized on a Amazon pricing mistake for a 25 or 50 foot roll of Parker Hurricane hose that was $150 MSRP for $45. Lots of those hoses from the box store do fail, even with consumer-level pressure washers.

Have the Napa guy make the hose with high-pressure and high-temp hose. The heated side needs a more robust hose.

Is the hose suitable for the application? typical pressure washers I know of run at pressures far greater than auto hoses. Or am I missing something?

Originally Posted by ironman_gq
Originally Posted by dlundblad

How would I check?

Listen to the engine when you let go of the trigger, if it winds down like someone let off the throttle then the unloader is working. If it bogs down like it's trying to build pressure then the unloader is sticking.

I'll take note next time. I'm assuming there's no disassembling and cleaning? Probably just needs replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back