Charging for parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you all rather that these places baked in the parking price into the general admission fee?

If the overall cost is too much, do not go.

Parking, like many things in the world is not free. It may be a minimal cost in a remote place where land is cheap, or it may be precious in crowded areas where land is at a premium.

That Frank McCourt cornball bought the Dodgers from his parking lot revenues.

SNA airport just up the road apiece shows on their financial disclosures that parking is its number one source of income.

When Roger Penske built California Speedway he incorporated 'free' parking into every admission ticket.
smile.gif

So in middle America you can park your car at airport and leave it there indefinitely not paying for parking?

I ask because our local "airport" which is shared by military and a few carriers (Allegiant and Frontier) just started charging $9/day which was a big increase from free. It has caused issues at a lot a few miles at same former air base (Pease) at the state commuter lot that is free for two weeks. People I think Uber across.

Theme park charging is interesting but I found the car cost down in Orlando was cheap otherwise ($14/day Malibu rental) it did not kill me to pay $25.

Originally Posted by thooks
If I need to pay to park to an event that I've had to pay for a ticket to enter, there's way too many people in the area/at the event for me. . . .

Admirably stated. This is my attitude as well.

Aside from events, which are usually too crowded and create traffic snarls, my local pesthole has recently added parking meters in certain shopping districts. The foul things are active on Saturdays as well as M-F. No wonder I don't go downtown or to the French Quarter any more on a weekend.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
I still don't much care for the fact that I have to pay my employer a pretty big chunk of my salary every year just to be able to drive to work-especially given that I live far enough out in the county that taking a bus isn't a realistic option.

The amount paid is even more frustrating in light of the fact that they move parking further and further out every few years.

This. My employer "graciously permits" you to look for a parking space on campus if you have a permit, which is $600 a year. No thanks; I'll spend that on other things. In commuting, I cross the bridge early to avoid the traffic, get a space on a side street, and drink coffee and read before my office formally opens.

Originally Posted by madRiver
What's you take on this at events and places. Oddly I like paying a nominal fee when limited so people don't waste the spaces if limited riding in car by yourself or don't hog them if hourly.

I watched a group of three people each in car waste the 3 of 10 spaces at a mountain bike area. They knew each other.

Examples include ski resorts, towns street parking and events. Many offer further free lots with shuttle if you want that too.

Free parking is first come first serve. The bike riders that hogged 3 of 10 spaces could have very well not lived near each other and were simply friends meeting each other for a bike ride.

I personally hate paying for parking, but will do so if the situation calls for it. Weather permitting, we try to ride our bikes to areas where we'd have pay.

Prices for goods and services will go up.

If truck stops go on full paid parking, it's like $14 a night! Right now they have three paid parking spots(Travel America)

I have an annual parking permit at a commuter train station in the North Bronx (NYC) which is located in a dense urban area, mix of apartments and multi-family houses mostly. Costs $400 a year, and there is a waiting list where the last person on that list will be lucky to move to the top in twenty years. I've had that permit for close to twenty years myself.

Parking is just real estate used for a different purpose. As the agents & brokers in the business like to say, the key to value in real estate is summarized by three factors: Location, location and location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back