Coloured wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen coloured wax for cars that you want to hide imperfections on. They seem to be mediocre waxes with a dye in them to help cover scratches, etc. can this type of setup be home made using something like RIT dye ?

I was feeling particularly gullible years ago and tried this stuff on my '05 Sport Trac. I still have the bottle of blue wax in my garage, which I'm sure is ruined by now.

It's excellent at dying your rags and applicator pad. The scratch came back after 1 wash, so I compounded & polished it out by hand later.

The stuff is made for wives and girlfriends to hide scratches they made driving their husband or boyfriends cars.

They think it will go unnoticed but with the next wash everything is revealed.

I used Turtle Wax black on my black Rav4. It was a kit with colored wax and a black crayon. It looked great for a couple weeks. Then it looked the same as it did before the application.

I used some Black Wax on a C6 Vette you could see white on the hood and the trunk and it helped to sell it. .not sure if it lasted.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I've seen coloured wax for cars that you want to hide imperfections on. They seem to be mediocre waxes with a dye in them to help cover scratches, etc. can this type of setup be home made using something like RIT dye ?

If you mean the Turtle Wax version, it comes with a ChipStick which is a crayon like substance you rub into deep scratches and chips. That along with the solids in the wax help hide the appearance of the blemishes. Why do you think you could do better than the chemists they have creating their products?

I used the red wax on my red Toyota pickup. its worked amazing and was almost like a paint job in a bottle. really brought the red color back to life

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Propflux01

If you mean the Turtle Wax version, it comes with a ChipStick which is a crayon like substance you rub into deep scratches and chips. That along with the solids in the wax help hide the appearance of the blemishes. Why do you think you could do better than the chemists they have creating their products?

Why do you think I am asking.....

OK I'll rephrase my answer. If you want to spend 100s of hours trying to mix up dyes, binders, base materials, etc., you might come up with something. But why, when you can just buy a bottle of the stuff off the shelf? Just read the post above yours.

Tried Sonax on a red car. Did nothing but make my applicator and towels red. You could use any matching crayola and get the same results.
Waste of money.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The stuff is made for wives and girlfriends to hide scratches they made driving their husband or boyfriends cars.

They think it will go unnoticed but with the next wash everything is revealed.

OMG, that's so right!

Of course, it's also for selling a car.

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK I'll rephrase my answer. If you want to spend 100s of hours trying to mix up dyes, binders, base materials, etc., you might come up with something. But why, when you can just buy a bottle of the stuff off the shelf? Just read the post above yours.

It was just an idea. Rit dye is a buck 50. Cheap wax I already have. Just wondered if anyone had tried it before. Sometimes experimentation works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back