Help me decide between Fram and Mobil 1

Car is a Ford Taurus SHO (3.5L EcoBoost) that has been modified with a tune, complete exhaust system, and the typical other hot ridding tricks. After some UOA's, I have settled on 4,000 mile OCI's, using full synthetic oil of the latest Ford specifications.

At WalMart, the Fram Tough Guard oil filter is one penny MORE expensive than the Mobil 1 filter for my vehicle. *The Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter is several dollars cheaper, but that is my third choice to go with*

Is this a no-brainer decision, and I should just go with the Mobil 1, or would the Tough Guard be better for my shorter change intervals and engine modifications?

Z-

Fram TG10575 = $9.98
Mobil 1 M1-212A = $9.97
*The Motorcraft FL-500S is $5.97 I believe

I doubt there will be a difference in engine life from the choice of the listed oil filters as far as engine life goes.

Any of the three you listed will be fine. Changing oil.and filter at 4000, I would just use the Ford.filter.

Originally Posted by Bud
Any of the three you listed will be fine. Changing oil.and filter at 4000, I would just use the Ford.filter.

Yup. The Motorcraft filter will be just fine at 4k ocis.
I'd even consider using a supertech

Originally Posted by ZiTS
Fram TG10575 = $9.98
Mobil 1 M1-212A = $9.97
*The Motorcraft FL-500S is $5.97 I believe

Screw on filter or cartridge?

Fram XG10575 is $10.97

These are all screw-on cans.

I was shying away from the Motorcraft because of Purolator's bad rep over the years, and I feel like the Fram/M1 options have better filtering media.

The M1 is also physically longer than the Motorcraft, which itself is longer than the Fram. So the holding capacity of the M1 should be the best. But I was moreso curious about the flow rates and filtering efficiencies of the M1 compared to the TG. Maybe I am wrong and the Motorcraft is the best way to go?? That's why everyone's input is much much appreciated.

Fram XG10575 is $10.97

These are all screw-on cans.

I was shying away from the Motorcraft because of Purolator's bad rep over the years, and I feel like the Fram/M1 options have better filtering media.

The M1 is also physically longer than the Motorcraft, which itself is longer than the Fram. So the holding capacity of the M1 should be the best. But I was moreso curious about the flow rates and filtering efficiencies of the M1 compared to the TG. Maybe I am wrong and the Motorcraft is the best way to go?? That's why everyone's input is much much appreciated.

Boy you must live in the High rent Walmart district.

Here's they listing at my Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Tough-Guard-Oil-Filter-TG4967/509875536

Every Tough Guard screw on can is this price at my Walmart.

Last edited:
Well, when you look at the Fram oil filter I've repeatedly mentioned for my application (TG10575), and NOT the TG4967 you searched, you do in fact get the $9.98 price.

Thanks for playing, JJ!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Spend the extra $1.00 and get the XG.

Yep, and if only doing 4000 mile OCIs I'd run it twice which is still less than half it's max rated use miles.

IMO, the XG is going to give the best filtration efficiency and flow among the options.

Well, when you look at the Fram oil filter I've repeatedly mentioned for my application (TG10575), and NOT the TG4967 you searched, you do in fact get the $9.98 price.

Thanks for playing, JJ!

Makes no difference every Fram Tough Guard screw on filter at my Walmart is priced the same as the one I posted above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Thanks for playing, JJ!

Makes no difference every Fram Tough Guard screw on filter at my Walmart is priced the same as the one I posted above.

Every Walmart I have been in (and online) has a few TG canister filters for more than other TG (the 9688 for one is more expensive in all their lines, PH, TG, and XG)

Toughguard will be good for a minimum of 2 oil changes. Ultra will be good for a minimum of 4.

Toughguard will probably give you slightly higher efficiency on an average basis (Ultra's high capacity will mean it will take longer to increase efficiency). But that won't make any discernible difference to your engine nor will using the Motorcraft.

For your service intervals, either run the Motorcraft filter and change it every service, or run the Fram TG and change it every 2 services. Personally I would run the TG and change it every other time. The Mobil filter is better because of steel end caps, but unfortunately it doesn't have the dual layer media or wire mesh backing of the TG which is important for extended service (2 intervals). Kinda think I should not have mentioned it or start a war, but there it is.

Originally Posted by DGXR
dual layer media or wire mesh backing of the TG which is important for extended service (2 intervals).

Why? What does either one of those features have to do with longer service intervals?

Back