First UOA, 2019 Jeep Wrangler, Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20, 4306 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA on my 2019 Jeep Wrangler with 3.6L Pentastar engine. New engine but I just wanted to make sure nothing was way out of wack. Looks like it will be a good engine. Oil is Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20.

img076 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
You changed out the factory fill at 700 miles, that is about what I did on my '19 Tiguan recently. It gets out that initial hit of metal powder.
In Northern Nevada, I'd be super tempted to use Mobil1 AP 5w30 in that V6 with the big timing chains in the summer. Winter, 0w20 is good. Off-spec, but assuming Jeep's warranty would not mind, a small risk I guess!

Good engine and oil. I did two drains so far on the Frontier - OE/Edge EP. I installed Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. Gas Truck has silenced the engine on cold starts and much to my surprise is quieter running than EDGE EP, fwiw.

Nice report!

I've been running 0w20 M1 AP (and one run of PPU) 0w20 year round and it has done fine. I've seen many a 3.6 with over 300k running even cheap 5w20. These things are easy on oil, anyway, so a 5w30 isn't necessary, IMHO.

Originally Posted by paoester
You changed out the factory fill at 700 miles, that is about what I did on my '19 Tiguan recently. It gets out that initial hit of metal powder.
In Northern Nevada, I'd be super tempted to use Mobil1 AP 5w30 in that V6 with the big timing chains in the summer. Winter, 0w20 is good. Off-spec, but assuming Jeep's warranty would not mind, a small risk I guess!

I agree on the 5w-30 for summer use. This Jeep does see use crawling around n the desert and sometimes hauling a small travel trailer. I have seen oil temps at 240 degrees while doing both last summer. Next oil change should be in the spring. I think I'll try a 5w-30 synthetic.

I'll note that the manual says a 0w-20 is "recommended" but does not say it's required. I think the warranty would be fine. Especially if I have UOAs on hand.

Originally Posted by Danno
Could "Rotella Gas Truck" be the sleeper oil that is the next next BITOG favourite ?

Maybe. So far I've run it in my 2018 Nissan Frontier and in this Jeep. No complaints so far.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Could "Rotella Gas Truck" be the sleeper oil that is the next next BITOG favourite ?

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

19.gif

And that would mean what ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

19.gif

And that would mean what ?

Get some before it's too late ?

I'm a bit overstocked after the M1 AP clearance

I'll see what comes on clearance next year …

Originally Posted by Donald
Copper seems high to me.

Nope; my first UOA had more than double that amount. The oil cooler contributes to the copper.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'm a bit overstocked after the M1 AP clearance

I'll see what comes on clearance next year …

Sounds like you got exceptional value on the M1 AP, Sir.
In that case, there's no hurry on the RGT.

smile.gif

I've been running the Rotella Gas Truck for most of the year, couldn't turn it down with the rebates...so far no complaints...2 oil changes in my 2018 Silverado (5,000 mile intervals). I'll be picking up some more next week trying to catch the remainder of those rebates. But it seems like good stuff...engine is using a little bit less oil, maybe a little bit quieter. I like the high moly content - not sure why - but I do...that make me a bad person??

I am running RGT 0w20 in my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L after having usually used Mobil 1 AFE or EP and RGT instantly made the engine much quieter and smoother ever since. Very happy with the product as well as the rebate, Shell sends those checks out quickly!

As the virgin oil starts with a typical viscosity of 8.4 and was 7.3 tested suggests there is some fuel dilution (and/or shearing) irrespective of the 'analyst's' comments. ~2.5% fuel would be my guess. Not a big deal but not <0.5.

Originally Posted by doyall
As the virgin oil starts with a typical viscosity of 8.4 and was 7.3 tested suggests there is some fuel dilution (and/or shearing) irrespective of the 'analyst's' comments. ~2.5% fuel would be my guess. Not a big deal but not div>

The result is due to the way that Blackstone tests for fuel dilution, but with that said, the 3.6L Pentastar is MPI (not DI like its 2.0T brother). The 3.6L typically does not have an issue with dilution (or shearing for that matter).

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
... The 3.6L typically does not have an issue with dilution ...

The numerous gas chromatography test results on my wife's 2017 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L (some posted, most not) beg to differ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back