Motorkote, Amsoil test says it has lots of chlorine

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/TSB MO-2010-04-01_chlorine_oil_treatments.pdf

I was very interested in Motorkote, you will find videos like Project Farm showing a treated lawnmower engine ran for an hour without a failure when oil was drained and water filled crankcase.

But this chlorine can mix with water and from hydrochloric acid, so it soured me. I was all set to put some in a car I have. I could have gotten maybe 1-2 additional mpg. I had even been thinking of using it in my common rail diesel Ram.

Sure your going to find it works, but how long before it may dissolve a metallic surface by corrosion. I dont think its worth the risk. According to some videos, it causes an engine to run extremely smoothly and well, so I wonder if some have used it to help sell their car.

Never used it before and don't have any plans to but I coulda swore someone on the board claimed to have corresponded w/Motorkote and they (MK) claimed that they weren't using chlorinated paraffins [anymore]???

For whatever that's worth...

Last edited:
Since it lowers friction, it must improve the mpg. I have read people says they gained from 1 to 3 mpg.
But if it does this safely then why are the car companies not using it to improve their fleet mpg, that tells me something about it is a problem.

https://pubs.lubesngreases.com/news/About-Face-EPA-Permits-Chlorinated-Paraffins-12147-1.html

Chlorinated paraffins are chlorinated alkanes that have carbon chain lengths ranging from 10 to 38, with varying degrees of chlorination. Those with lengths from C14 to C17 are classed as medium chain; from C18 to C20 as long chain; and C21 and higher as very long-chain. CPs are used in metalworking fluids as extreme-pressure agents, especially for difficult drawing, forming and removal operations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the corrosive nature of chlorinated paraffin byproducts they serve absolutely no purpose in any motor oil. You may see a short period of increased gas mileage due to reduced friction, but the hydrochloric acid formed from combustion would wreck havoc inside the engine. These are what give additives a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back