2019 CB300R and Delo 400 XLE 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bonz
I have read on this site where folks speculate the Mobil MC specific oil has a decent ester content ...

Right or wrong, that is my problem with forums, speculation somehow turns to "truth" as it gets repeated down the line and honestly, I THINK I have seen a few Ester oils over the years (I could be wrong) and they still had shearing.
Whatever Mobile 1 adds (Amsoil too but lesser degree) bothers me but doesn't matter, its oil, does is job like all the others and if you have a shared sump seems like a good idea?
Never tried it when I had shared sump bikes, I always just changed the oil at 3,000 miles or so..

Last edited:
Good stuff alarmguy, I always appreciate your perspective.

If I was changing at 3,000 miles, I'd go with a conventional that has an additive package similar the Mobil 1 MC specific oils. I like a good dose of zinc and phosphorus and also I think boron is a good anti wear agent. Ester oils, based on what I can find, typically don't shear as much/fast because the quality of the base oil necessitates less viscosity index improver.

What I have experienced with conventional oils is shift quality falls off. I like that I get 5,000 miles out of Mobil 1 and change it because that is about a riding season and also the Kawasaki recommended interval and not because shift quality has fallen off vs. 3,000 miles out of a conventional oil when experiencing less precise shifting.

With that said, I am going to stretch the M1 10w40 4T to 6,000 miles this next summer and see what I get.

very very few oils have stayed in grade once they enter the MixMaster of Doom and do a race (gncc/harescramble/enduro). out of nearly 90 uoa's, i think i can count on my fingers those that did. i dont think a single uoa test has 8 motor hours on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, I can see living at 10,000+ RPM would be really hard on the oil in terms of maintaining it's viscosity. Especially with the on/off loading of the gears and the force they are subject to under constant wfo acceleration. Would you say the load on the gears is the main contributor to viscosity breakdown in racing as compared to the RPM itself? Meaning running at a high RPM in and of itself isn't necessarily as hard on the oil as the forces put on the gears during racing.

well i doubt many run the motor to 10k plus in neutral.
some may rev to impress but ehhhh its no load

when im at 14k and in gear (usually only 1st or 2nd)...pretty sure both the motor and tranny are tearing that nice oil to shreads

think about this.

at 14k...thats 233 revolutions per second.
which means the valves are openinging 116 times in that 1 second
thats some load on the buckets n cam ramps
not to mention those rod ends
all that have oil to prevent metal on metal contact

but its more the gearbox that chews those nice long chains into short ones

it is amazing when you think about how many times the valve is open and closing in a second and the stress not only the oil undertakes but the components in the valve train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back