2019 Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by Ws6

It's basically a detuned audi rs3, with all of the maintenance and reliability foibles that brings with it. I'd personally check out other vehicles if you want legit long term use.

Ummm ... NO.

The Audi RS3 has a MONSTER 400 hp 5 cylinder turbo, with no relation whatsoever to the 288 hp 4 cylinder turbo in the Golf R ... which is a pumped up version of the GTI engine.

To the OP ... congrats on the stealth, uber practical new Golf R. I have driven the Focus RS, Golf R, WRX STI and Civic Type R. The Golf R is the sophisticated one in this group. Better real world suspension settings, nicer interior, more cargo space etc. And still VERY quick.

Just be careful with the wheels, especially if you went with the 19 inch rubber band tires. Those wheels bend. Frequently.

I was looking at pre-2017 vehicles, which indeed had the same 292hp 2.0. Looks like you're right regarding 2019 models, though.

Originally Posted by Burt
Yes I base all my car buying decisions based on how reliable they were 40 years ago. By the way, when you said "before that whole stink started" - was that pun intended?

VW got a bad rap 40 years ago, just like they do today. I remember when I bought mine, it was rated one of the worst in Consumer Reports. Toyota could do no wrong back then, just as VW could do no right. 4 decades later nothing has changed much.

My Diesel VW ran flawlessly, and saw a dealer only once in the 12 years I owned it. (4 glow plugs). Yet when you looked up it's reliability in CR, you saw nothing but black dots across the board. Diesels were far better before the whole DEF fiasco started.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
From what I understand, dieselgate wasn't about reliability at all... it was emissions. The "bad rap" you referenced comes from the quality of vehicles they produced.

There was nothing wrong with their quality. Certainly not to the level they were constantly being raked over the coals for it. Year in and year out for literally decades.

The diesels VW produced were some of the best in their class in both performance, reliability, and mileage. Dieselgate ruined that market, period. It was stupid. They didn't save any whales or rain forests by destroying it. If my new Toyota performs half as good over the next dozen years, I'll be a happy man.

although a bit overpriced i would buy one if i could. check out VWVortex for a LOT of great info. lots of tuning options, but most kill warranties as is common today, almost anything will void a WRX or STI warranty as noted on the web! GOAPR offers tunes they warranty. i loved my trouble free 200 thou mile 2001 wolfsburg jetta tuned to 275 tq + HP!!

I think it's funny that people that in many cases consider changing their own oil some type of mechanical feat, dump on Volkswagen. I understand why the love affair with Honda/Toyota. If one of those should happen to need repair then the no skills wannabes that diss VW's would have to find a mechanic for $100+ an hour as they don't really work on their own cars. I own/owned and work on many different vehicles, most which don't even belong to me. Having a lift and a full complement of tools means my time off of work is in high demand. European cars are different to work on than [censored] or domestic, not harder, different. Buy what you like, don't let the no skill morons opinion carry any weight.

Take a guess what it is and what job I'm performing.

engine12 002.JPG

Originally Posted by sloinker

Looks like a 4.2 5v and you're probably changing the cam chain tensioner.

Thanks all.

We finally ended up at a bit over $2,500 off list, after a long, painful experience at one dealer and a good experience at the final one.

The first dealer was like a caricature of car buying; long, drawn out, painful, no discount, "We usually sell these with a markup", "Since you are local, we won't charge a markup", "..these will be prized by collectors....last year of production...will increase in value...". Then the Sales Rep (in between bites of a slim jim) answered my Wife's questions to me instead of her (she's this little thing who is a senior corporate litigator....I was secretly laughing :) ) We thanked him and got up to leave, but then he had us wait. The Sales Manager then took over, offered $1,000 off and said "...that is it, cant do anything else". We left for Bloody Mary's at the place down the street.

The next day, driving to a client I passed a VW dealer. I stopped in later in the day and politely said I wanted a base R, 6 speed, blue with the silver accent wheels, said I didn't need to drive one. Asked for their best offer and said I'd buy it then. I was done in 35 minutes. To cap it off I told the Sales person that I needed to be back for a meeting. A few minutes later, I hear something and notice that he is jogging up and down the dealership stairs and through the office area getting forms, copies, etc. I heard someone ask why and he said "customer has to go to a meeting". Can't teach that.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Thanks all.

We finally ended up at a bit over $2,500 off list, after a long, painful experience at one dealer and a good experience at the final one.

The first dealer was like a caricature of car buying; long, drawn out, painful, no discount, "We usually sell these with a markup", "Since you are local, we won't charge a markup", "..these will be prized by collectors....last year of production...will increase in value...". Then the Sales Rep (in between bites of a slim jim) answered my Wife's questions to me instead of her (she's this little thing who is a senior corporate litigator....I was secretly laughing :) ) We thanked him and got up to leave, but then he had us wait. The Sales Manager then took over, offered $1,000 off and said "...that is it, cant do anything else". We left for Bloody Mary's at the place down the street.

The next day, driving to a client I passed a VW dealer. I stopped in later in the day and politely said I wanted a base R, 6 speed, blue with the silver accent wheels, said I didn't need to drive one. Asked for their best offer and said I'd buy it then. I was done in 35 minutes. To cap it off I told the Sales person that I needed to be back for a meeting. A few minutes later, I hear something and notice that he is jogging up and down the dealership stairs and through the office area getting forms, copies, etc. I heard someone ask why and he said "customer has to go to a meeting". Can't teach that.

Yup. I went to one dealership to discuss buying a new Z06. Was 24. Sales guy literally walked off in mid conversation with me to take a lookieloo. I simply left, and went to the dealer across town. Super helpful and nice. Ordered to build a few months later. Definitely stick with good dealers. It DOES continue after the sale either way.

Originally Posted by sloinker

I think it's funny that people that in many cases consider changing their own oil some type of mechanical feat, dump on Volkswagen. I understand why the love affair with Honda/Toyota. If one of those should happen to need repair then the no skills wannabes that diss VW's would have to find a mechanic for $100+ an hour as they don't really work on their own cars. I own/owned and work on many different vehicles, most which don't even belong to me. Having a lift and a full complement of tools means my time off of work is in high demand. European cars are different to work on than [censored] or domestic, not harder, different. Buy what you like, don't let the no skill morons opinion carry any weight.

1.8 turbo 20 valve VVT tensioner . Original died with 170k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Lol, dont let Edyvw know you think a car with fwd based awd and 60/40 weight distribution handles awesome.

It's basically a detuned audi rs3, with all of the maintenance and reliability foibles that brings with it. I'd personally check out other vehicles if you want legit long term use.

Of course it can handle, this is VW, not Mazda

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Burt
Yes I base all my car buying decisions based on how reliable they were 40 years ago. By the way, when you said "before that whole stink started" - was that pun intended?

VW got a bad rap 40 years ago, just like they do today. I remember when I bought mine, it was rated one of the worst in Consumer Reports. Toyota could do no wrong back then, just as VW could do no right. 4 decades later nothing has changed much.

My Diesel VW ran flawlessly, and saw a dealer only once in the 12 years I owned it. (4 glow plugs). Yet when you looked up it's reliability in CR, you saw nothing but black dots across the board. Diesels were far better before the whole DEF fiasco started.

I believe poor reliability by consumer reports means something like 25% of owners have issues. That still leaves a majority that don't..

Interestingly my family's experience in last decade with VW has been decent. Better then wife's disaster prior Subaru turbo Legacy wagon she loved.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
Lol, dont let Edyvw know you think a car with fwd based awd and 60/40 weight distribution handles awesome.

Of course it can handle, this is VW, not Mazda

Hahaha! You crack me up. At least you're no longer pretending to have actual data and just simply admit to being a brand shill.

Quick question...who makes the most raced car on the road today?

On that note, had fun with a late 90s Audi B5 S4 the other day on the twisties. Pretty even match, he couldnt escape meh! Maybe he just wasnt a driver though, to be fair. His lines looked kinda sloppy.

Originally Posted by Ws6
On that note, had fun with a late 90s Audi B5 S4 the other day on the twisties. Pretty even match, he couldnt escape meh!
Trying to see if you can beat 20-year-old vehicles on the road in unknown mechanical condition? Is that some kind of a new sport?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Ws6
On that note, had fun with a late 90s Audi B5 S4 the other day on the twisties. Pretty even match, he couldnt escape meh!
Trying to see if you can beat 20-year-old vehicles on the road in unknown mechanical condition? Is that some kind of a new sport?
smile.gif

When you're in a Mazda, you take on what you can take on.

Zoom zoom!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Ws6
smile.gif

Zoom zoom!
lol.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
smile.gif

Zoom zoom!
lol.gif

Not a lot of sporty cars to mess with in the middle of nowhere near my house due to ground clearance requirements to live in my neck of the woods. I enjoy the fun I find
smile.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
smile.gif

Zoom zoom!
lol.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

...and when you drive a Tiguan and a minivan and the sportiest thing you've owned that you mention is an old BMW SUV with one of the base trim engines and the numbest steering around, you simply take to the keyboard/forum. Here's lookin' at the only one of us in here that hasn't actually owned a driver's car...Edyvw :p All your criticisms are from way back in the peanut gallery, lol!

...and when you drive a Tiguan and a minivan and the sportiest thing you've owned that you mention is an old BMW SUV with one of the base trim engines and the numbest steering around, you simply take to the keyboard/forum. Here's lookin' at the only one of us in here that hasn't actually owned a driver's car...Edyvw :p All your criticisms are from way back in the peanut gallery, lol!

As I said, you could be used as a measurement for teenage insecurities.

The Golf R is just about the only AWD car I'd consider if I was going to replace my M235i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back