Questions aftermath of oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I have some questions after I have changed my oil. Car has 50k kms, 1.8L MPI engine DOHC 16V

The manual says it takes 4 litres, but after putting in 3.78 litres (4 * 946ml) and checking the level, it shows half way on the dipstick, even after letting the car run for 1 minute. Should I add a bit more or am I good leaving it as is since according to the dipstick it's fine?

If I should put a little more, I want to top it off with 250ml dyno oil while the 3.78 litres I put are full synthetic. I already have a opened bottle dyno oil from my 2nd car oil change and I don't want to open another full synthetic 946ml bottle since I do low mileage and 1 year always passes before I need to change the oil. Anyone knows if this dyno dilution of aprox 6% only reduces the benefits of full synthetic by 6% or it's more? (because I don't know, dyno breaks down some of the chemicals in the synthetic, etc). So someone putting let's say 25% dyno and 75% full synthetic, is he reducing the synthetic effectiveness by only 25% or it's not a proportional ratio?

Both oils are same brand, weight.

Lastly, when I changed my oil, before doing that I checked the dipstick. I noticed all the dipstick was full. When I dropped the oil into the pan, it also foamed at the top. I don't know if it was because of the height to the pan, but I read that overfilling causes foam and my 2nd car oil change didn't foam, and I did see on the dipstick that oil was overfilled. Before doing this oil change, I took it to a indie mechanic, and I know it's my fault for not checking the levels after or every month, but I did 10k kms before I changed the oil now... Luckily car sounds and drives fine but there could be possible damage done already?

I really don't know if foam at the top of the oil pan means anything or not. I have attached a picture. But maybe if 3.78 litres show half dipstick, maybe them putting 4L and a little extra directly as per the book took it close to full?

IMG-20191021-WA0006.jpg

Let it sit for 5 minutes with engine off and recheck. Is car on level parking area.

Unless there was a gross error, I would believe the dip stick.

However some car with a curved dip stick tube start to give odd readings after pulling the dipstick in and out several times. They must be catching some oil while pulling the dipstick out, If you notice weird readings then push in dipstick and wait an hour.

While you could add the same brand dino oil, why would you? If I had another bottle of the same oil, and had to add more oil (based on the dipstick reading) I'd add that. I do it all the time.

Nothing bad will happen to new motor oil sitting only part full with the cap on, over the next year, or two years, or .....

Going 10,000 km (6250 miles) without checking the dipstick is not a good idea.

Sometimes after changing my oil, I need to wait overnight to get the most accurate reading.

Was your car engine and the new oil cold when changed? If so and then run for just a minute or so...much of the new oil will drain slowly from the top of the engine. Run it until warm and/or wait a good 20 minutes for the oil to all return to the sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by messerschmitt
The manual says it takes 4 litres, but after putting in 3.78 litres (4 * 946ml) and checking the level, it shows half way on the dipstick, even after letting the car run for 1 minute. Should I add a bit more or am I good leaving it as is since according to the dipstick it's fine?

Curious, how much did you pull out?

Halfway on the stick isn't going to destroy your engine and believe the manual, they built the darn thing after all.

Run some errands then check it in the A.M. on level ground. If you're still below "F" top it off in half qt increments.

Last edited:
Ran into a similar issue on my 2003 Vibe(Toyota 1.8), you can research it more as several post on this thread mention it,

I just did the suggested revised marker on current dipstick 18 inches down from the o'ring, the original is 18.5, then enjoyed adding another 0.6 quarts as one post stated the new capacity as 4.4 quarts, my owners manual has 3.8 quarts,

or why you should always have you oil on the full mark, and mine is a re-manufactured engine where they obviously didn't catch that detail;
DIY Engine Oil Change

Note: A TSB (T-SB-0134-08) has replaced the original dipstick for one with different markings for the 0.5L increase in oil for the 1ZZ-FE engine. New dipstick Part # is 15301-22050

Nobody is going to ask how long it was draining? I always have to add more than it calls for because I let it drain longer. Sometimes as little as 1/10th of a quart, sometimes 1/2 quart or more. For example, this past Friday I had to add every drop from a 5 quart bottle into an '07 Accord 2.4 that's supposed to take 4.5. Still was just a hair under the full mark.

When I dropped the oil into the pan, it also foamed at the top. I don't know if it was because of the height to the pan, but I read that overfilling causes foam and my 2nd car oil change didn't foam, and I did see on the dipstick that oil was overfilled. Before doing this oil change, I took it to a indie mechanic, and I know it's my fault for not checking the levels after or every month, but I did 10k kms before I changed the oil now... Luckily car sounds and drives fine but there could be possible damage done already?

I really don't know if foam at the top of the oil pan means anything or not.

About the foam. Foam can form when the car is running, and overfilled at the same time, and the crankshaft hits the oil, churning it up. In your case, it sounds like you jjust "dropped the oil into the pan", which is not the same as running the engine and checking for foam right after engine shutdown.

If you have oil in there for 8,000 miles or 10,000 kilometers, that is fine. That would not damage your engine. And, your oil level being too low will not hurt the engine as long as it is above around 8 mm below the lowest "Add Oil" mark on the dipstick since the oil pickup tube gets oil very low in the sump. As long as you never saw an Oil Pressure warning light on the dashboard, the engine is not damaged.

As for getting the right level of oil, simply check the oil on a level surface, in the morning before driving it, and don't add any oil until it is down to the "Add Oil" bottom line. Check it once weekly to be sure.

Also, there is no problem adding a little conventional (Group2 based) oil to synthetic (Group 3 thru 5) based oil. It really won't make much of a difference since they are miscible and all good oil really.

My understand was that the oil pressure warning light were useless. If that thing comes on, that is way to late and there is almost no oil lubricating the engine. I could be wrong or old information...

Regarding the foaming inside the engine, my understanding was that the foam prevents proper lubrication and I have no way to know this, other than the oil level being over the limit (which is what causes it)

I didn't measure the amount that came out, let it drain until no drops came out, and checked the level after a full night sitting.

Last edited:
I...let it drain until no drops came out, and checked the level after a full night sitting.
Looks like I nailed it.

Originally Posted by paoester
As long as you never saw an Oil Pressure warning light on the dashboard, the engine is not damaged..
My understand was that the oil pressure warning light were useless. If that thing comes on, that is way to late and there is almost no oil lubricating the engine. I could be wrong or old information...
Not always "way too late". ---> When the OIl Pressure warning light comes on, if you quickly turn off the engine, then little damage is done. Not much anyway. There is enough residual oil to mostly protect the engine for a very short time. Drivers need to safely pull over and cut the engine off ASAP. If you can do it safely, shift into neutral, cut the engine, and man-handle the steering to the side of the road, assuming its a vehicle that weighs less than 4,000 lbs anyway, and a straight road with no traffic. Otherwise, you have to pull off and then cut the engine. Too complicated, I know..... Yep thats a bad warning light to see!

Regarding the foaming inside the engine, my understanding was that the foam prevents proper lubrication and I have no way to know this, other than the oil level being over the limit (which is what causes it)
Foam does indeed reduce lubrication, not completely, but it is bad. One detects that condition if you check your oil, hot, right after driving and see bubbles on the dipstick, right after engine shutdown and preferrably after revving or driving around a bit, to give the crankshaft time to churn (cause foam) the oil up a bit, if its overfilled. ------ The crankshaft should never hit the oil surface, and the oil level should never get above the windage tray, the definition of overfilling.

I didn't measure the amount that came out, let it drain until no drops came out, and checked the level after a full night sitting.
Sounds right. I'd just let it stay at the halfway level, between the upper and lower dipstick lines, and check it weekly, just adding a quart when it gets to the lower line one morning. Plenty of oil in there doing it that way. Its fine to drive around below the Full Line, no problem, it just has to be above the lower Add Line, thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back