Why some say You can't use synthetic oil after semi synthetic or conventional !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by userfriendly
I use group II mono-grades to clean up the gunk synthetics leave behind and to un-stick and clean up the rings and pistons.

Works for me. I heard about the GPII thing some where. Are you suggesting that syn oils leave harder deposits?

Originally Posted by userfriendly
I use group II mono-grades to clean up the gunk synthetics leave behind and to un-stick and clean up the rings and pistons.

Works for me. I heard about the GPII thing some where.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
I think the best explanation of the reason "some people" like EricTheCarGuy might say it was in his conventional vs synthetic youtubes, specifically that part that deals with leaks. He took a lot of heat for his initial yt on conventional vs synthetic oil, so much so he did a follow up. I would say it most applies to much older engines that have run conventional almost exclusively. Synthetic oil doing more cleaning may tend to expose some areas not kept as clean by conventional, and thus leaks become more prominent.

That is like the pictures the syn oil pushers use to prove "conventional" oil make sludged up engine. Those engines are engines they are not properly maintained.

Notice a number of one star Amazon ratings by people who buy Valvoline "conventional" Daily Protection and find that the bottle says "semi-syn", even though it's the same exact product. Lots of mis-information out there.

….That is like the pictures the syn oil pushers use to prove "conventional" oil make sludged up engine........
Then I suppose they would be included in the OP's "some people".

Originally Posted by csandste
Notice a number of one star Amazon ratings by people who buy Valvoline "conventional" Daily Protection and find that the bottle says "semi-syn", even though it's the same exact product. Lots of mis-information out there.

Yep and that first question is telling. "Does this oil reduce enging friction"? The answer is not much better. Lots of review bots on Amazon.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by csandste

Yep and that first question is telling. "Does this oil reduce enging friction"? The answer is not much better. Lots of review bots on Amazon.

Yes and if you tell the truth on Amazon reviews if you review is truthful but contains something negative about the product you'll never get it posted. Speaking from personal experience on more than one occasion.

I swap between conventional, synthetic and semi-syn all the time in my car. No problems, just depends on what is on sale.

Originally Posted by SR5
I swap between conventional, synthetic and semi-syn all the time in my car. No problems, just depends on what is on sale.

I do also on occasion and the UOA just keeps coming in great without spontaneous combustion in either of them. Just switched back to Rotella Dino in the Duramax a week ago of course it know its been cold and wet but no flames yet?

Originally Posted by tiger862
Is there conventional oil anymore?

10w30 of various brands

Originally Posted by wemay

10w30 of various brands

That's true. I haven't seen a need for 10w30 or 10w40 in awhile.

10w30 of various brands

Congrats on a big LSU win!

10w30 of various brands

Congrats on a big LSU win!

It was a great game. Even wife was cheering on LSU and she isn't a football fan.

My latest convert is an 08 impala that was dealer bulk serviced for 100k that was old lady owned. My first run was QSUD followed by PP HM. Now the cars leaking oil, not a lot but a quarter sized drip on the garage floor every morning. When I bought the car the oil was just changed and leaked nothing until I changed it over. I think I'm gonna go back to conventional just to see what happens.

I've seen synthetic cause many leaks. I've seen it cause non stop engine smoking in OLD, tired lawn mowers.I

If you buy an older car, with unknown maintenance history, I'd personally just stick with a syn blend. Unless you needed the cold flow properties of synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back