Gabriel vs TRW struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alchargo
I ordered some TRW struts that were on clearance on RockAuto for $25.XX. They arrived today and appear to be rebadged Sachs, which IMO is a good thing.

Those clearance struts are usually old and often bad due to age out of the box.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by alchargo
I ordered some TRW struts that were on clearance on RockAuto for $25.XX. They arrived today and appear to be rebadged Sachs, which IMO is a good thing.

ZF Friedrichshafen, parent company of Sachs, didn't acquire TRW until 2015. I'll take my chances
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

That's a $50 gamble I'll take every time. I don't buy the idea that a strut sitting in a box in a climate controlled environment for a few years is going to magically kill a strut. Given that many struts last the life of the vehicle, exposed to years of abuse & climate variations, I don't think a few years sitting in a box is going to hurt them much. Sure the seals could be affected and compromise lifespan some, but I doubt many people are receiving these DOA. So far I'm 4/4 on closeout struts and have an extra ~$200 in my pocket.

Finished Installed the TRW/Sachs struts today and they work as expected. Ride is substantially firmer, not in a bad way. Everything feels nice and tight, ride height seems higher on the front, but the old struts had lost most of their fluid, so that probably explains it given that I didn't change the springs.

All of then are replacement parts but for shocks go OEM - hard lesson learnt to stay away from OEM. Its a real job and time consuming - sticking with OEM will be well thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back