Anyone with a golf cart?

We're putting our trailer on a seasonal campsite. I'm looking at getting a golf cart to keep onsite to cruise the property in (I guess this is what seasonals do). Everyone I've talked to says to avoid electric and go with a gasser, which might explain why the majority I'm finding on Craigslist and FB Marketplace are electrics. My max is $3k, and not really concerned about the age. Looking at EZ-GO or Club Car. I've read Yamahas are hard to get parts for. Any other things to look out for from those of you who have one?

Gas will have more power, but also be more expensive and require more maintenance. It all depends what you want to do with it. For a campsite/woods cruiser I'd probably go gas. Club Car is always a good choice as they are plentiful.

I have 3 electric golf carts. All are 48V. Club cars and a Yamaha.

"IF" you keep the batteries fresh, an electric cart is fine. But you must change the batteries every few years. I drive my cart about 10 miles per charge at the airport, as I go from one end of PBI to the other.

The 6V 220AH golf cart batteries can be found at Costco for about $100 each. Real world lifespan (good range without battery depletion) with good maintenance is 3-4 years. The 8V batteries (typically used by 48V carts) are considerably more expensive. Around here, they are $175 each.

Also, 36V golf carts are generally kind of weak.

However, any way you slice it, the battery cost per year is quite steep.

Last edited:
We have a 36 volt EZ-Go that is a 1999 model. Seats 4 people. Has Rural king batteries and is 36 volt. We just had ours camping this last weekend and it is able to carry 4 oversize adults anywhere in the hilly campground. We were told go gas too, but we found ours for $2000. It had one year old batteries and 2 chargers. We use the digital charger mostly. It is really nice to be able to travel silently thru the campground in the early morning and does everything we expect. I recommend you just try each one out before buying. I just didn't want the hassle of carrying gas and clogged up carburetors.

I have used both at my work places. I currently maintain 2 electrics. Buy gas. The range on a gas cart is 20-30 times that of an electric. If you want to go for a cruise around the camp all day without worries the choice is clear.

My late father in law used an electric golf cart to get around his property . Distances were modest and speed was not a high priority .

Do not think range was an issue . I figure batteries were replaced , when they went bad . No idea as to the time period .

My brother in law still uses a golf cart , but I do not know if it is the same or a replacement .

If you will be doing any distance driving, I recommend a Yamaha gas cart if you can find one in your price range. I have a 2002 G16 I bought slightly used for $3,000 in 2011 including some upgraded wheels, tires and accessories. It has been trouble free. Allegedly Yamaha does not make carburetor rebuild kits anymore for older models like mine. That could mean buying a whole new carb if I have problems. Otherwise my experience is that parts are plentiful for Yamaha carts, even on the internet. Besides gas carts have more balls.

I wouldn't be afraid to add Yamaha to your list. I have a good friend with one, and he has done a lot of mods with readily-available parts.

I have a gas Club Car and it has been good.

$3K is a tough spot to be in, budget-wise. You can get a pretty nice electric cart for that. Gas, probably a somewhat newer bone-stock cart. The older stock carts are cheaper, and the ones with aftermarket wheels, lift, rear seat are more.

Lifted carts are common around here and they take them pretty much anywhere. Go big.
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image]

Back when I was golfing we had an electric EZ GO and if I had it to do over I would go gas, and stay away from the 3 wheelers, ours was a 3 wheeler and it felt like you were going to tip over all the time on hills and going around corners.

Back in Glendale we were practically next to Sun City. Golf carts were everywhere. Out here everyone has the dune buggy's with the street kits on them. The 4 passenger models are expensive. $20K+. But they're loud and fast.

In our family we have three gas powered golf carts.One is a Yamaha drive with Yamaha engine, Two is a EZ GO with a Kawasaki, Three is a Club Car with a Subaru. I dont see much diffrerence in the three. We maintain them well and have had no issues. I am told that parts for the Subaru engine are a bit hard to find but we have'nt needed any. The Yamaha gets used more because I'm retired and use it to fish the lakes in the neighborhood. They all run on 10-40 M1 High Mileage with no troubles but we may go th M1 or Rotells Gas Truck 5-30 because that is what I use in my vehicles and I am the oil change guy, being retired.

Back