Allis Chalmers 50/50 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem

Hello all I bought this tractor a little over a year ago and recently decided to change all fluids. I have the factory parts book , service manual and owners manual and it says to use Allis Chalmers Power Lube but other than the weight of the oil it does not give any specs on the oil. The trans and the hyd. shares the same reservoir so I bought some Shell T-4 Rotella for it and it seems to shift alright but when taking it out of 4 wheel I have to mess with it a little. I don't have hardly any seat time on this tractor so I don't really know what the trans is suppose to sound like but the trans & pto seem to be a little noisy but my question is is this oil ok for the trans and what could I add to the oil to quiet the trans down a little? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mark

I cant fathom that Rotella T4 would be an appropriate oil for a transmission and hydraulic system, but Ive been wrong before.

Was the transmission loud before?

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I cant fathom that Rotella T4 would be an appropriate oil for a transmission and hydraulic system, but Ive been wrong before.

Agreed. I would think any decent Universal Tractor Fluid should work.

This topic has been discussed before about Kubotor tractors and whether other than factory lube is appropriate. Just recently changed out the hyd systems in my L5030 with Kubotor USD and no second guessing.

Thanks for the reply's guys I seriously doubt if you can still get Allis Power Lube anymore and my owners manual says 15/40 weight lube but does not give anything else. Like I was saying that after I bought the Allis it sat the winter and pretty much didn't run it until I changed the fluids especially when I pulled the dip stick for the trans and it was a nice milky color. I'll have to call the old Allis dealer and see what they say about the oil. Thanks again.

Mark

Made by Allis Chalmers (Fiat) and sold from 1977-1983, its 19 quart transmission capacity is pretty hefty. I don't see how any HDEO would be suitable for the transmission. Either search for an internet tractor forum or consult a local tractor dealer. Any tractor made around 1980 can't be too picky on transmission lubricant. A visit to Tractor Supply is in your future.

http://www.tractorspecs.com/specs/Allis Chalmers/5050.aspx

Caterpillar power shift transmissions used HDEO for a very long time. Around the early 90s however, the additives in diesel engine oil had become too good in some ways, as they didn't allow enough friction for the transmission clutches to work like they used to. A newer lubricant was introduced, "TDTO" transmission drive train oil, this fluid allowed for proper friction in the newer transmissions. TDTO is backwards compatible with older machines, but a great plenty of the machines built through the 1980s are still using HDEO as it is cheaper.

The hydraulics on Cat and a lot of other equipment through the 80s and in some cases later spec SAE 10W engine oil.

I've worked at John Deere dealers off and on since the late 1980s, while never on a Deere, I did run accross a few off brand tractors that specked 15W-40 for the transmission and differentials.

The first Caterpillars with torque converters actually used diesel fuel out of the fuel tank, the next model went to engine oil.

Last edited:
The trans is a straight manual 12 spd. I called the local Allis dealer and their using hydraulic trans. fluid now but the woman I talked to didn't know what the weight was.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back