Freedom 95 furnace doesn't keep house warm long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My freedom 95 furnace can start heat my house for a while and then stop working, can not restart following the schedule.

The flame sensor is cleared and the inducer motor is few months new, what can be and what should I do please.

Thanks
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
If the furnace was made in about 20 years or so, it should have a self diagnostic feature, usually in a form of two LEDs that blink at different rates. The furnace door should have a sticker to decode the trouble codes.

When the furnace fails to restart, check for those codes

Thanks.
It is a error code of 3 red blink.
that means:

3 Flashes ---
Draft Pressure Error - Possible problems:
a) Venting problem
b) Pressure switch problem
c) Inducer problem

take the door off and press the safety switch in to activate the furnace. watch what it does. see if the inducer is rotating. if not check the wires to it.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
take the door off and press the safety switch in to activate the furnace. watch what it does. see if the inducer is rotating. if not check the wires to it.

Thanks,
I'll do it when got home.

Seems inducer not run when press safety switch, but the furnace do work for a while even few hours when manually power on . what I want to say is the wires to the motor should be OK?

Thanks
Adam

the inducer only runs for a little bit at start up to induce a draft to trip a pressure switch. i had one that the wiring going to it was not making contact but only intermitantly . all i did was wiggle the wire and once the inducer came on it worked fine . what might be happening is your furnace runs and then shut off when it reaches the desired temp. then the next time it is commanded to turn on the inducer does not work.

next time it does not start wiggle the wires going to the inducer

Originally Posted by laoshanren
Thanks.
It is a error code of 3 red blink.
that means:

3 Flashes ---
Draft Pressure Error - Possible problems:
a) Venting problem
b) Pressure switch problem
c) Inducer problem

I had this happen once, there was some crud in the rubber tube leading from one part of the furnace to a pressure switch. Pulled the tube out, blew some compressed air through it, and it worked just fine after that.

Have the gas company put a 24 hour pressure monitor on your gas connection. I was getting cut-outs like this and it was due to pressure drops. They replaced the outside regulator and all was well after that.

Is the inducer you all are referring to , what I call the combustion air fan ?

I have a 90% or 92% condensing Goodman hi / low flame natural gas furnace that we installed in the early 1990's .

I have had to replace a few parts , but over all , it runs well & we have been happy with it .

Were I working on the OP's furnace , I would study the schematic and trouble shoot each safety device / system . Test each device / system , one at a time until you find the fault .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by WhyMe

+1 on watching the furnace start up sequence.

These codes are a guide only, just like OBDII codes. They may not neccecerily mean part failure.

The furnace in my in laws hause, for example, will develop a fail to restart at the beginning if the heating season almost like clock work. I forget the code it throws now because I know what is wrong with it and it's the same thing every time.

Basically the inducer housing does not drain properly for some reason, it's not clogged or anything, but I guess it doesnt drain fast enough and this happens shortly after firs activation from summer break. All that needs to be done is disconnect the small drain hose, let the water drain, blow into it to expel more water and then the furnace will work fine for the rest of the heating season.

But to diagnose it the first time, I had to observe the furnace startup up sequence. In this case, the inducer motor would start spinning, then it would stop, then resume and after a third time I believe it would stop and throw an error code. It never got to turn on the flame. Also, as the inducer motor would wind down, I could hear a sloshing sound of water.

In my previous house, the furnace experienced a similar thing, with similar start up sequence, but I found no water and further diagnosis and googling pointed to a failed pressure switch which apparently was common for this model. The furnace was still under warranty so I called the company and the tech that showed up almost right away, after watching the start up sequence, got to check the pressure switch. It turned out to be bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back