2006 Altima 2.5 oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 2006 Altima 2.5. At the time of sale, the PO stated there was a substantial PS leak. I think it's something else but not sure exactly. Its wet on one of the AC pressure lines. A hint of green dye. Its wet in back underneath somewhere above oil filter.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are there known leaks on this eng9ne? Any ideas ?

Neither of those look serious. The first one is likely the suction host coming off the A/C compressor. The second is just some minor dampness around the body of the P/S pump. I've done plenty of the suction lines, none of the pumps. A good degrease and monitor situation is in order here.

The high-pressure hose is leaking at the crimp - very common and almost a necessity to replace after 150K/10yrs.
Bought one from RockAuto and given yours is a V4 its easy to replace - buy the one which has the clamps (extra $10) which save a bunch of time during replacement

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
The high-pressure hose is leaking at the crimp - very common and almost a necessity to replace after 150K/10yrs.
Bought one from RockAuto and given yours is a V4 its easy to replace - buy the one which has the clamps (extra $10) which save a bunch of time during replacement

Is that the refrigerant, the pag, both leaving that mess? How did you know how much PAG to put back?

Hose the area down with brake cleaner and catch the leak early to figure out where it's coming from if you don't want to mess with dye.

Looks like HS power steering line.

Just noticed the car has no heat idling. Added 1/2 gal of coolant and heat is back. I don't see any visible leaks. Oil was low but looks ok. No smoke. Idles real good for a 4 cyl. Are these 2.5's known for HG?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by MaximaGuy

Is that the refrigerant, the pag, both leaving that mess? How did you know how much PAG to put back?

Most A/C systems contain dye along with the refrigerant/oil to help identify leaks. It's the oil that physically leaves a mess, refrigerant is a gas. But if it's leaking oil, it's leaking refrigerant.

If you can find a FSM for that car, it should tell you how much oil to add when replacing different components. At least the one for my XTerra did. Of course, that doesn't account for what has already leaked out.

Last edited:
Just noticed the car has no heat idling. Added 1/2 gal of coolant and heat is back. I don't see any visible leaks. Oil was low but looks ok. No smoke. Idles real good for a 4 cyl. Are these 2.5's known for HG?

Not sure about the head gasket, but I'm pretty sure that year of 2.5 was known for the catalytic converter falling apart inside and getting all the bits sucked into the engine. This in turn causes a good bit of oil usage. I would have thought most of these would have been scrapped by now...

Is this the Altima you just bought for $500? If so, doesn't seem like the worst purchase. As others have stated, the issue with that is the Cat(s). If it doesn't look like it's been replaced, it might be worth doing so as a preemptive measure. Only a couple-few hundred $.

Yes this is the $500 car. I cleaned the engine bay. Took the car for a 1 hr drive. Exercised the AC. Hit the brakes a few times. Came back and took pics.

[Linked Image]

The hose/banjo connector in this pic was suspect.
[Linked Image]

And so was the AC high pressure hose. Looked like it from initial pics. But nothing, stayed clean
[Linked Image]

And then I found this. Assuming this is a hack. The other end of the PS hose? I can't see where it goes. Its wet. Directly under the serp area. I wonder if that gets sprayed around because its so close to the serp, and nothing is wrong with the high pressure AC hose.
[Linked Image]

Thoughts?

Yeah, that definitely looks like a hack job. Hose looks like it's been cut.. and two screw-down clamps put on like that?

Also, and maybe it's just my imagination, but that white spot at the bottom of the hose in that pic.. is that 'wet'?

So I ordered the OEM Nissan section of hose that is supposed go there. But it's just too stiff to push on. Theres nothing to push against so I got about halfway and it's stuck. Everything bending. I tried silicone lube, grease, sprays, no way I'm pushing it on that tube without taking the entire cooler line off the car. Which is a bunch more work because of the location.

I have a section of bulk gas line hose from AutoZone left over from another job. It's pretty stiff too but gives just enough to push it on. Can I use that and see what happens?

Is the bulk hose rated for fuel injection? It should be stamped on it.
That I believe would be a safe choice vs non FI rated hose which has a lower burst strength.

Originally Posted by Fifth87
That I believe would be a safe choice vs non FI rated hose which has a lower burst strength.

Here it is maybe you can tell me I'm not sure
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Fifth87

Here it is maybe you can tell me I'm not sure
[Linked Image]

It's going to be used on the cooler line and does not appear to be a high pressure line. But I don't know what pressure the cooler line operates at

Yes, 30R7 is fuel injection rated. I should have said that initially, my apologies.
That is a good question about the PSI of a cooler line. If you have the new piece of hose that you purchased from Nissan handy, perhaps that has a similar code on it to determine PSI rating. That is the sole idea I can come up with unfortunately.

Well it's on. I started the car and rotated the wheel a few times both ways. And I had someone turn the wheels while I put my hand on the hose to see if it was under a lot of pressure. I can still squeeze it a bit so I'm not sure how much pressure is going through it. Now that I struggled with that I wonder if I could have thrown the OEM hose in a pan of boiling water for a minute and it would be more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back