More Quick Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
These photos were taken at Canmore, Alberta, 60 miles west of Calgary on highway 1. It will now help electric cars on the way back from Golden, Radium and Invermere which are resort towns another 100 to 120 miles west of Canmore. These chargers were off to the side of a Petrocanada with a McDonald's. Have a Big Mac and charge your car. Enjoy.

47241C44-E8CE-4C30-85C1-806279A3D305.jpeg

27C38085-3B4A-4E77-ACCA-E06CA37FE6E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Any EV charger that doesn't get you 75 litres of gasoline equivalent energy charging in 5 minutes, isn't a fast charger. It's at least 10x slower than a gasoline fill.

I am completely out of the loop on how these charge stations work. Do you insert your credit card then get charged on the wattage that is put into your battery bank?

I believe at least the Tesla ones recognize the car when you plug it in and charge your account. Dunno what the other makes do for that.

Originally Posted by Geauxtiger
I am completely out of the loop on how these charge stations work. Do you insert your credit card then get charged on the wattage that is put into your battery bank?

Same question I have, following this thread...

...........cost per kWh at these wonderful joints? ....... and how does it compare to current cost in same area per kWh?

Originally Posted by Danno
Any EV charger that doesn't get you 75 litres of gasoline equivalent energy charging in 5 minutes, isn't a fast charger. It's at least 10x slower than a gasoline fill.

Fast is relative to EV tech which these accomplish in under 30 mins. There is no EV tech that gives you 5 mins currently so no idea what you are talking about.

Apparently free for limited time till they figure out pricing model and establish the network of chargers.

Clearly Petro Canada has the coin and foresight to explore what's coming eventually. Instead of playing Johnny come lately like many current auto makers sucking profits and not innovating as Tesla and Chinese auto makers do it.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Fast is relative to EV tech which these accomplish in under 30 mins. There is no EV tech that gives you 5 mins currently so no idea what you are talking about.

Apparently free for limited time till they figure out pricing model and establish the network of chargers.

Clearly Petro Canada has the coin and foresight to explore what's coming eventually. Instead of playing Johnny come lately like many current auto makers sucking profits and not innovating as Tesla and Chinese auto makers do it.

I think hes talking about the fact that gasoline or diesel takes like <5 mins and you're on your way.

Fast is relative to EV tech which these accomplish in under 30 mins.

So you basically have to wait a half hour, (assuming there are no cars ahead of you), while sitting at a damp picnic table on the side of the road. On what looks like a cold, damp, blustery day, (or night), until your car gets enough energy to get both it and you home. Sorry, but if that's considered "innovation", they can keep it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Have a Big Mac and charge your car. Enjoy.

No thanks to either one. I'll just fill up with good old fossil fuel in 4 or 5 minutes, and pass on anything that a place like McDonalds tries to shovel off on the desperate patrons waiting for their car to charge.

It's a good idea to lease space near off ramp areas. You can take a brake while recharging your batteries.

Reminds me of the infrastructure that existed prior to the interstate era on Route 66, etc.

Obviously, things will change but it covers current needs.

"Fast charger" is advertising spin, and if EVs want to compete on equal footing with ICE vehicles, bring it on.
I have no problem with competition, but let's call it what it is - it is a very slow energy fill vs ICE.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
These photos were taken at Canmore, Alberta, 60 miles west of Calgary on highway 1. It will now help electric cars on the way back from Golden, Radium and Invermere which are resort towns another 100 to 120 miles west of Canmore. These chargers were off to the side of a Petrocanada with a McDonald's. Have a Big Mac and charge your car. Enjoy.

Coal powered! LOL!
grin.gif

Found this Tesla Model S charging at a coffee shop in Invermere, BC. This one would not need to charge in a Calgary-Invermere-Calgary trip, but you wouldn't try if if you needed the heater and there was the risk for delays due to avalanche clearing on the highway. By the way this charger is powered by hydro derived electricity. Enjoy.

8BD9AE5B-3C37-4795-A2A3-3D8DD0158499.jpeg

EC6E64E6-A089-4BA2-8C9B-E66273E9E2C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Coal powered! LOL!
grin.gif

Who cares about where power is generated? Nuke , coal, solar, hydro , oil, gas, wind whatever. It's an outlet.....

Coal powered! LOL!
grin.gif

Who cares about where power is generated? Nuke , coal, solar, hydro , oil, gas, wind whatever. It's an outlet.....

Ummm, well, typically EV's are heralded as being more green because they don't directly emit. If you are charging it with coal, you are simply emitting somewhere else, if you are charging it with a nuke, it is vastly cleaner. Ergo, what the car is recharged with has a direct relationship to the environmental impact of said vehicle.

- If you are charging an EV in Alberta, the emissions footprint of just that process (excluding vehicle manufacture, transport...etc) is ~580gCO2/kWh
- If you are charging an EV in Quebec, the emissions footprint of just that process (excluding vehicle manufacture, transport...etc) is ~24gCO2/kWh

-If you are charging an EV in Germany, the emissions footprint is presently 275gCO2/kWh
-If you are charging an EV in France, the emissions footprint is presently 68gCO2/kWh

Those are massive differences and important to keep in mind. Driving an EV because you think you are saving the environment, while you charge it with coal or gas, doesn't put you much further ahead than your gas-fuelled neighbours, and if they are driving a hybrid, they may actually be greener.

Got curious. I think it's 3.5 kWhr per mile, give or take, for an EV. Meaning, it's ranging from 2,030 to 238 grams CO2 per mile in Canada (per OVERKILL's numbers).

Meanwhile a gallon of gas has 8,900 grams of CO2. If I wave my hands and guess at 30 mpg for a typical car, that is 297 grams CO2 per mile.

I'm not sure what is lost behind the scenes in getting fuel from the well to the power station nor to the typical filling station, but I'm guessing they are pretty similar? Which kinda leads to, buy a hybrid that gets 40 mpg, and give up on electric, it'll do better on CO2 per mile.

That's not to say I'm anti-EV, heck I think they might do better in cities. They might excel for short trips where an ICE never gets warm. And of course, I might be wrong on these numbers.

Those are massive differences and important to keep in mind. Driving an EV because you think you are saving the environment, while you charge it with coal or gas, doesn't put you much further ahead than your gas-fuelled neighbours, and if they are driving a hybrid, they may actually be greener.

While some consumers care about green majority like its different and has a coolness factor around it.

The reality is for EV to work it needs a network of regular charging which Petro Canada and Tesla are laying out. The sorting of green factor can be run in parallel and beyond to providing an actual network.

Think Netflix, they used DVDs initially because streaming was not there and get the framework laid out/sorted.
Uber is similar as the platform is eventually trying to go driverless but to get there they need drivers to fill the role until they hit that milestone.

Originally Posted by supton
Got curious. I think it's 3.5 kWhr per mile, give or take, for an EV.
And of course, I might be wrong on these numbers.

33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back