wifi garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
mom is getting old and forgetful. her neighbor has called me a few times telling me that she left her garage door open. thinking of getting one of the new openers with wifi so we can check on the status of the door.

anyone have one? how well does remote close work? any security issues since its on wifi?

Second on the Chamberlain MyQ. Awesome stuff here. Even sitting at my desk at work, I can check the status of my garage door, open and close it if needed. Definitely worth it.

I have one... the real handy feature is setting it up to automatically close after being open for a certain period of time (20 mins for me). I don't actually use the wifi feature hardly at all, and the app is IMO not that smart.

I like my Chamberlain MyQ although I use it rarely. I set it to automatically close at 11 pm and its prevented me from leaving the door open overnight a couple times.

Originally Posted by brages
I have one... the real handy feature is setting it up to automatically close after being open for a certain period of time (20 mins for me). I don't actually use the wifi feature hardly at all, and the app is IMO not that smart.

All the OP need is the ability to close the garage door remotely.
That does not require it to be that smart but smarter than what they have now. LOL.

To the OP, first thing is to make sure that there is WIFI coverage at the garage.
I have just replaced our 25 years old Opener with the Chamberlain below:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamber...-Smart-Garage-Door-Opener-B750/301887758

It is sufficient for us with the ability to remotely close and open using an apps on the IPhone or Android.

Now, at that time, the price was only $198 so it has gone up for some reason.

I would consider getting a Samsung SmartThings with a garage door adapter and a few sensors to keep an eye on mom. Not that expensive. You can tell the status of the garage door, see if its open. And open or close it. And maybe a temp or water sensor to make sure the house is warm and nothing major is leaking.

I have this at my DE home and routinely let service guys in via garage door to service the heat pump or similar. And I have a water sensor under most things that are are connected to domestic water. A few motion detectors and all the sensors/detectors can sense temp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Originally Posted by brages

All the OP need is the ability to close the garage door remotely.
That does not require it to be that smart but smarter than what they have now. LOL.

To the OP, first thing is to make sure that there is WIFI coverage at the garage.
I have just replaced our 25 years old Opener with the Chamberlain below:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamber...-Smart-Garage-Door-Opener-B750/301887758

It is sufficient for us with the ability to remotely close and open using an apps on the IPhone or Android.

Now, at that time, the price was only $198 so it has gone up for some reason.

she definately needs a new opener as her is from the 80's and does not even have sensors. i think this one will work great. one question i am curious is how does it know if the door was kept open on purpose or accident ?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
one question i am curious is how does it know if the door was kept open on purpose or accident ?

The mind reading function will be offered in the next release. For now, you're just going to receive notification on your phone if the door remains open for X amount of time. At that point you call up your mom and ask what's up.

OP, I Just installed a new Chamberlain RJ020 wall mounted jack shaft opener today. Very pleased with it and it's quiet as a mouse. I haven't connected the WiFi yet and I doubt it will be used much since I also got the outside wireless keypad but in your case, I can see how it will give you some peace of mind with your mom. It also has an automatic deadbolt that activates on closing and deactivates on opening for added security.

Last edited:
I have the Chamberlain and it is pretty nice. It messages me if my garage door is open for 3 hours or more, to remind me to close the door. It also has a battery pack in it, so I can open the garage door if the power goes out. Nice feature set. With the smart phone ap, you can easily see if the arage door is open or closed. I can remotely open it for a service person if Im not home. Or I can close it away from home if I accidentally leave the door open.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm looking to replace my 20+ year old genie screw drive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-S...oogle-Assistant-Ready-3053-TSV/302027779

This genie seems to have similar features to the chamberlain.

Does anyone know, can you send info to more than one phone, I.E. My phone and my wife's phone?

Genies aren't what they used to be since the 2000s. Unless it's a screw-drive model they are made in China now. I'd look at the Chamberlain but spend a little more and get a Lift-Master with a one-piece rail and an all-chain/all-belt drive instead of the chain/cable or belt/cable drive and sectional rail on the DIY series.

It also depends on your door. If you have a one-piece wood door, screw drives are the way to go. Otherwise, chain or belt with sectional doors.

You and your wife will get the notifications from your opener as long as you set up your smart home system(Alexa/HomeKit/gAssistant/SmartThings) for sharing. You can also create a login for Genie Aladdin(or myQ for Chamberlain/Lift-Master) and share it with your wife.

I plan on installing one of the Chamberlain myQ retrofit kits if my dad wants to pull the trigger on smart locks. My parents have a 12 year old Lift-Master chain drive that's proven itself to be reliable. I dunno if they also need to upgrade their remote controls to the new RF/crypto platform Chamberlain is using across their brands(Security+ 2.0 with multiband capability).

Of course, if their garage door kicks the bucket I might just vouch for a motor head replacement only as Chamberlain does a good job maintaining rail compatibility with their motor heads.

Originally Posted by nthach
[quote=spasm3
You and your wife will get the notifications from your opener as long as you set up your smart home system(Alexa/HomeKit/gAssistant/SmartThings) for sharing. You can also create a login for Genie Aladdin(or myQ for Chamberlain/Lift-Master) and share it with your wife.

I have no idea what a smart home system is. Does the opener just use my wifi to work? Wont be getting or using anything alexa.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by nthach
spasm3 said:

I have no idea what a smart home system is. Does the opener just use my wifi to work? Wont be getting or using anything alexa.

The opener will be able to connect to wifi and you can use it without Alexa, HomeKit/Siri or gAssistant. You just need the app for Genie Aladdin or Chamberlain myQ.

And you still get to use your remotes/wall button the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back