Testing old coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has 08 Camry with 80K miles. He has never changed the coolant. I had a gallon of new Toyota long life so it tested the new with the coolant tester as a base line. Then I tested the Camry and it tested in the same spot as the new coolant. Is it necessary to change the old coolant. The old coolant still looked good.

When you say you tested the coolant I assume you just tested the freezing point? That is a good test to do when refilling and making sure you have enough antifreeze (and not too much water) so the engine will not freeze but it does not test how good the coolant is doing at preventing corrosion.

Most people do a drain and fill of the radiator every other year and that changes about 1/2 of the total coolant volume. Its pretty easy.

Now they do sell coolant test strips that show a more in depth analysis of the coolant. I have used it in my diesel and added a Ford approved rejuvenation that I believe you can add once. The next time you replace the coolant. But I do not think people do that with gas engines and smaller capacity cooling systems. Another issue with the test strips is they sell them in packages of 25 and they last 2 years for $25. My local Ford dealer has given me a strip when I asked for it, but you need the container also to do the color matching.

Coolant never loses its freeeze protection over time but the additives which keep corrosion at bay deplete and corrosive damage will be the result.

What is the "coolant tester" of which you post? Are you referencing a hydrometer which measures coolant concentration level (freeze point/boiling point)? If you tested concentrated Toyota Long Life Red it should have should tested higher concentration than the radiator AF. The latter should be around 50% concentration (~-34F freeze point). Now if it was the pink premix tested, should be close to the same as radiator.

As for when it should be changed, you should follow the OM recommendation for change. 80k miles ~11years...getting close I'd think.

As for SLL pink remix vs LL red, Topyota says they are compatible. However the red only rated ~2yrs/30k mi. vs ~5years/50k mi. for pink on subsequent coolant service.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Yes I still needs to be changed. It contains addtives that protect metals. Just like oil it needs to be changed before those addtives are depleted.

Thanks man. We'll change it.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Just an FYI, you need to use the right coolant

Super Long Life (pink)

Vs.

Long Life (red)

You need Super long life

Yes super long life is what we have. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
What is the "coolant tester" of which you post? Are you referencing a hydrometer which measures coolant concentration level (freeze point/boiling point)? If you tested concentrated Toyota Long Life Red it should have should tested higher concentration than the radiator AF. The latter should be around 50% concentration (~-34F freeze point). Now if it was the pink premix tested, should be close to the same as radiator.

As for when it should be changed, you should follow the OM recommendation for change. 80k miles ~11years...getting close I'd think.

As for SLL pink remix vs LL red, Topyota says they are compatible. However the red only rated ~2yrs/30k mi. vs ~5years/50k mi. for pink on subsequent coolant service.

Hydrometer is what I used. We'll change it.

With modern 100% OAT coolants really unless the coolant has lost its alcalinity and the pH drops below 7 i would probably not change it.

OAT inhibitors almost don't deplete, i remember reading a study where they found that 98% of the organic acids were still present after 5 years of use.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
With modern 100% OAT coolants really unless the coolant has lost its alcalinity and the pH drops below 7 i would probably not change it.

OAT inhibitors almost don't deplete, i remember reading a study where they found that 98% of the organic acids were still present after 5 years of use.

Thank you sir. He's double the 5 years. We'll change it out for safe measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back