Another battery test results question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the HF/CenTech Digital Battery Analyzer, I get a test reading of 588 CCA on a 5-year old EverStart MAXX H8 900 CCA rated battery at 50F ambient temp.

On one hand, I don't want to unnecessarily buy a new battery, but on the other hand I don't want to get stranded in the middle of winter. The car is parked outside.

Replace it?

Get it tested at a place with a Midtronics that does temp compensation. But I think you are borderline. Given where you live I would go for a new battery. 5 years from a Walmart battery is not bad.

Changing a battery in the middle of a cold spell where the wrenches freeze to your hands is not fun.

If wife's car then definitely.

Last edited:
Depends on how hard it is to start-my xB will start fine on only 300 CCA, even in winter. But, the IDI diesels in my sig need 2 850 CCA batteries, testing at 700 CCA or above, to start in the same conditions.

Personally I err on the side of caution with a battery. If there was the slightest question about its viability I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. Especially living in a cold/snow environment.

Midtronics says 50% of original CCA replace, 60% consider it. By that logic, you're still good.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Midtronics says 50% of original CCA replace, 60% consider it. By that logic, you're still good.
Right, but Midtronics compensates for ambient temp. If I ran my test at 0F, I'm sure my CCA reading would be a lot lower.

5 years is a long time for a battery that sits in your vehicle engine compartment which is a very hostile environment. If it where me I would go ahead and get a new battery while the weather is decent. How much does a new battery cost? Look at it this way if and when the battery fails how much will it cost to replace and how much time are you going to lose try to get your vehicle running in the middle of the night when its below freezing or first thing in the morning when your car won't start and you have to get to work. There is a reason why replacing a battery is preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
5 years is a long time for a battery that sits in your vehicle engine compartment which is a very hostile environment.
The batteries on all three of the cars in my sig sit in the trunk.

My previous battery lasted 6 years, so this one is definitely getting there.

If it where me I would go ahead and get a new battery while the weather is decent. How much does a new battery cost?
About $150, give or take.

Look at it this way if and when the battery fails how much will it cost to replace and how much time are you going to lose try to get your vehicle running in the middle of the night when its below freezing or first thing in the morning when your car won't start and you have to get to work.
I mainly use this car to drop my kid off at daycare in the morning. Theoretically, if it doesn't start, I could take my wife's car, which is garaged. Sometimes I do that if I don't feel like shoveling snow/deicing my car.
smile.gif

I could buy one of those jump start li-ion pack gizmos, but I think I'd rather just put the money toward a new battery.

Since it's coming up on winter, I'd replace it. If it was in my wife or daughter's car, I'd replace it asap .

Something I have been doing with very good success is buying my replacement batteries at the dealership. Great pricing and great warranty.

The only thing "my" dealerships can't compete on is tires.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Right, but Midtronics compensates for ambient temp. If I ran my test at 0F, I'm sure my CCA reading would be a lot lower.

Midtronics I thought compensated using actual battery temp.

Yeah.. I agree Quattro... Really good point.

I agree with Donald. I would replace it given your location.

Originally Posted by Donald

Midtronics I thought compensated using actual battery temp.

Only thing about that Donald... Can it "really" replicate temperature at 0 degrees Fahrenheit???

I just would not totally trust that... Would that hand held computation device actually replicate -20°F accurately too ?? Again I just would not trust it...

588A is more than the car cranks more than likely...

588A x 9V = 5292W. Doubt your starter is more than 1.2-1.7kW.

Condemnation is usually 20% capacity loss or doubling of impedance. What's the impedance value?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What's the impedance value?

4.5 mOhm.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I've had issues with this battery since last year, unable to accept full charge. I suspect it's heavily sulfated. At this point, I'm leaning toward just getting a new battery.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What's the impedance value?

4.5 mOhm.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I've had issues with this battery since last year, unable to accept full charge. I suspect it's heavily sulfated. At this point, I'm leaning toward just getting a new battery.

At 200A, that's only a 0.9V drop. But if it's unable to accept full charge, it probably means that the charger can't get current to flow without a high overpotential that is abusive... that's not what the impedance is spelling us, but kind of is what the CCA value is telling us... that the battery is too resistive somehow,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back