Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 w/ 5.2k, with BG MOA in Ford 3.7L Duratech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this was used in a gas engine I decided to put it here. Oil is dual use and rated AP SN.

OIL: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40
Additive: BG MOA
Vehicle: 2019 Lincoln MKT Livery
Engine: 3.7 Liter Duratec ( NOT ECOBOOST)

UOA- Used Oil Analysis by Blackstone
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Screenshot_20191022-183208_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That moly has to be from the BG MOA, which I'm surprised it has.
Anybody know what else is in BG MOA, and what its supposed to do?

Basically BG MOA is an additive package containing Moly and other good things. These types of additives you see in premium oils. Basically BG MOA bulks your oil up.

So this HDEO wouldnt contain moly or if it does small amounts so you turn to BG MOA.

It does say on the oil cap to use 5W20 but I wouldnt use.a 20 weight for anything.

I imagine the Transit is a work vehicle and hauls or tows a bit of weight around. For that application a 40 is appropriate especially if you loaded all the time and doing stop&go.

Originally Posted by Navi
Basically BG MOA is an additive package containing Moly and other good things. These types of additives you see in premium oils. Basically BG MOA bulks your oil up.

So this HDEO wouldnt contain moly or if it does small amounts so you turn to BG MOA.

A BG MOA VOA done on bitog said it had about 150 ppm of moly. That means your Mobil1 TDT 5w40 actually had slightly more than 228 ppm you reported, since the 150 ppm in BG MOA would have reduced it slightly. Its puzzling how M1 TDT 5w40 has around 240 ppm moly. Its not what Mobil usual does with any of their oils. Mobil1 oils typically max out at around 80 ppm moly in all their Mobil1 line of oils. Something is wrong here. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/903883/bg-products-moa-oil-additive-voa

Also, the BG MOA VOA showed it had a lot of calcium detergents (TBN buffers). That might be your "other good things" you mentioned, yet I suspect you don't know what is in BG MOA, although you still use it.
Antimony in it would be a good thing, antioxidant and antiscuffing.

About what you say about moly being in premium oils, actually moly is in almost every kind of oil except for premium oils. I saw recently where some expensive German spec oils had zero moly.

Last edited:
That BG MOA VOA is dated 2007 or 12 years ago. Since that time there have been other formulas for MOA. This is the most recent one.

The 3.5L and 3.7L Duratecs are great engines, aside from the heinous placement of the water pump
mad.gif
These engines can typically go 400k+ with just routine care. They wear very well once broken in. Yours is right in line with expected norms.

No need for the thick, expensive syn. These engines survive just as well on dino 5w-20 and exhibit the same wear trends. If you feel you "must" have a thicker lube, consider at 5w-30 dino. The syn is neither hurting nor helping your engine, but it sure ain't helping your wallet!

Last edited:
Awesome uoa! Blows away the universal averages. I'm guessing this car is spec'd for 5W20? I've always run thicker oils and all of my uoa's are impeccable. I would keep running this oil.

The 3.7 is basically a punched out 3.5. Very similar engines. I own a fleet of vehicles as Im in the livery industry. This particular vehicle has gone 30000 miles since March.

Sorry that I couldnt update my threads on the Navigator...not a lot of time these days.

Even though the engine might be speced for 5W20 and it may run well with it Im simply not comfortable. I would rather go thicker. I did note there seemed like less noise...lifter noise?...with the thicker oils.

This one is a Walmart shelf oil. Just walk into any Walmart and its right there. At 24 per gallon its not really expensive like Amsoil but its not as cheap as the 5 quart jugs going for $22.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back