Shell Nitro+ Gasoline in older cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hagerty has a video on their website with two Shell engineers. They said that the new formulation of the Shell Nitro+ gasoline premium was especially formulated with older carburetor engines in mind. They said that the fuel has a special formula that would coat the older plastic and rubber parts and protect them from the dangers of ethanol in modern fuels. Also no lead additive was needed for the older cars. Has anyone had any experience with this fuel in muscle cars, carburetor cars etc.?

How many cars with carbs are still on the road? I haven't seen many carbs other than hot rod types as you mentioned

Some of the nitro+ advertisement talks about corrosion prevention, which I always assumed was a TCW3 like oil additive?

My 67 Camaro (before and after complete restoration) has run just fine on E10 for twenty plus years.
There are certainly some specific applications where E10 has caused problems, but it's often confounded by other factors.
An example of this is OPE where dirtbag Chinese polymers have led to fuel lines dissolving and marine applications where fiberglass fuel tanks are attacked by the ethanol.
Hagerty Classic Insurance funded a study at Kettering Univ in Michigan to look into this issue and basically said old cars were good to go on E10.

Originally Posted by Building3
Hagerty has a video on their website with two Shell engineers. They said that the new formulation of the Shell Nitro+ gasoline premium was especially formulated with older carburetor engines in mind. They said that the fuel has a special formula that would coat the older plastic and rubber parts and protect them from the dangers of ethanol in modern fuels. Also no lead additive was needed for the older cars. Has anyone had any experience with this fuel in muscle cars, carburetor cars etc.?

No experience but here's a link to the MSDS for V-Power Shell gas. Now you just gotta figure out which ingredient does what. I do know that one of the differences between V-Power and Nitro+ is the amount of PEA. Shell advertises this on it's website. Keep in mind, being a Top Tier brand, that all grades must meet the minimum amount of detergents set forth by Top Tier.

MSDS

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
How many cars with carbs are still on the road? I haven't seen many carbs other than hot rod types as you mentioned

You Should come out west. We are loaded with older carbureted cars,motorcycles etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back