Annyone else having issues with Windows 7 lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dave9
it is either drive failure (or bad cable connection to it), bad PSU, or memory.
Good call. In the last 3 years I have had 2 SATA hard drive cables go bad. The first time that it happened I replaced the hard drive. The new HD didn't work. I replaced the cable and all was well, including the old hard drive. The second time that it happened (on a different HD) I replaced the cable immediately, problem solved.

Best policy is to allow update notification only then you choose which one & when to install them

Full auto update can be a can of worm. It can can clash or interfere with other updates like AV or programs running

Originally Posted by bonjo
Best policy is to allow update notification only then you choose which one & when to install them

Full auto update can be a can of worm. It can can clash or interfere with other updates like AV or programs running

That's exactly what I have been doing and my 7 system is working fine. I will only get a 10 unit when I have to. I have it on my newer desk top and I do not like it when compared to 7 or even my old favorite XP.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yep, 10 isn't perfect, but at least it will get updates past the end of the year
21.gif

More chances for your system to get screwed up by updates, is not necessarily a good thing.

I disabled Win7 updates after SP1. The sky didn't fall. I didn't get any infections, not even a nose bleed or scraped elbow.
wink.gif

The idea that support ending for Win7 means people should switch, is ridiculous. Run the OS that works for you and upgrade when it is advantageous, but don't think that moving to Win10 in any way solves the problem this topic is centered around which is letting MS break something that works through updates.

If you're in a corporate environment or tend to let random strangers use your computers then sure, the security vulnerabilities are a different story then, starting with not letting random strangers use your computers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yep, 10 isn't perfect, but at least it will get updates past the end of the year
21.gif

More chances for your system to get screwed up by updates, is not necessarily a good thing.

I disabled Win7 updates after SP1. The sky didn't fall. I didn't get any infections, not even a nose bleed or scraped elbow.
wink.gif

The idea that support ending for Win7 means people should switch, is ridiculous. Run the OS that works for you and upgrade when it is advantageous, but don't think that moving to Win10 in any way solves the problem this topic is centered around which is letting MS break something that works through updates.

If you're in a corporate environment or tend to let random strangers use your computers then sure, the security vulnerabilities are a different story then, starting with not letting random strangers use your computers.

With all due respect Dave, I work in IT and have been doing this for a very, VERY long time.

If you are browsing the internet or if your computer has network access, persistent security vulnerabilities (IE, ones that haven't been patched) are a potential path of exploitation, that's not up for debate.

People drive around without seat belts too and they don't magically end up dead, but it puts them at increased RISK for more serious injury, or even death, in the event of an accident. The same goes for an unpatched system. Somebody that thinks that running an unpatched box is OK because they've had no issues they are aware of yet isn't a glowing endorsement, it simply means that they've been lucky. The thing about luck is that it eventually runs out, so I hope you have a regular backup system in place that is in no way persistently connected to your system.

You are welcome to comb through the list of security bulletins Microsoft has released since SP1 for 7 was made gold:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/securitybulletins/securitybulletins

There are a lot of them.

One would basically have to only browse BITOG and do nothing else using their computer in order to feel safe. But most people use other internet based services as well. They may seem safe, like online banking, facebook or ordering pizza, but if the computer has malware, no security on the other side will prevent an intruder from monitoring activity on the infected computer. Things like key strokes, cookies, automatically saved passwords can be exposed.

Heck, even access to BITOG account will give the attacker an email address that can be used to spread malicious software.

Another point is that most households have more than one device connected to the internet. So even if the old computer has nothing of importance or personal information on it, if it get infected it can open up the rest of your home network to an attack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
One would basically have to only browse BITOG and do nothing else using their computer in order to feel safe. But most people use other internet based services as well. They may seem safe, like online banking, facebook or ordering pizza, but if the computer has malware, no security on the other side will prevent an intruder from monitoring activity on the infected computer. Things like key strokes, cookies, automatically saved passwords can be exposed.

Heck, even access to BITOG account will give the attacker an email address that can be used to spread malicious software.

Another point is that most households have more than one device connected to the internet. So even if the old computer has nothing of importance or personal information on it, if it get infected it can open up the rest of your home network to an attack.

Yep! There are exploits for the old SMB 1 protocol for example that could be taken advantage of on a LAN using a hijacked home router or app that has made its way onto a phone or tablet. Even sites we typically view as "safe" often have ads, and those ads are hosted elsewhere. it is not uncommon for those ads to get hijacked and modified to cary a malicious payload that can then take advantage of unpatched vulnerabilities in browsers, flash...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back