How do you select tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please put these in order of what you feel is important to you .
The options are: Price, Looks, Mileage, Performance, Noise.

For me it would be:

Price
Mileage
Noise
Performance
Looks

1. Performance / price
2. mileage

noise will greatly depend on tire type, e.g. AT vs HT and road / pavement, some pavements are much rougher and noisier than others even in next lane going in the same direction.
AT - all terrain
HT - highway and terrain

Much like a woman. I want them to look good. Not cost too much. Not make too much noise. Provide good service over a long period of time, without a bunch of unnecessary maintenance or problems.

i go to americastire, sort by price lowest to highest. then look at treadwear, traction, and temp rating. i try to go for 500 AA A.

Originally Posted by billt460
Much like a woman. I want them to look good. Not cost too much. Not make too much noise. Provide good service over a long period of time, without a bunch of unnecessary maintenance or problems.

i second that ...lol

Performance is too general. I'm looking for superior wet weather performance. I want that and good value.

Almost any tire can do a decent job in the dry. Wet weather is where you separate the winners from the rest.

Give me the tire that is in the top 5% in wet performance and a good value.

They might not last as long, but then I need new tires every couple of years anyway, and find those that give an extra year can become scary in the wet during that last year.

Originally Posted by ZZman

For me it would be:

Price
Mileage
Noise
Performance
Looks

I trust my local trusted tire shop to recommend a set. Usually get a set for about $600 and change mounted with free rotations for the life of the tire. They suit my driving just fine.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I trust my local trusted tire shop to recommend a set. Usually get a set for about $600 and change mounted with free rotations for the life of the tire. They suit my driving just fine.

Kinda dangerous way to go. They will recommend whatever they have in stock.

Had a tire store try to do that to me when they didn't have the Michelins I wanted in stock and tried to talk me into a cheap set of no name tires.

Originally Posted by ZZman

For me it would be:

Price
Mileage
Noise
Performance
Looks

My priorities in tires are the same as yours ZZman…..'Looks' matter in a woman...not a tire.

I can't justify spending huge money on Michelins or Goodyears when I can get 90% of the mileage/noise/performance for less than half the price.
I've had terrible Bridgestone's (RE92s I think), Firestone's (whatever was OE on the 2008 Corolla...Infinity's I think)...I've had very good performance from Hankook's, Kumho's and even Starfire's....

I was thinking the tires on the Fridge should be about due @ 38K figuring OEM cheepies. I didn't look very hard for make but they have plenty of tread, so Its a non-problem . The SE has 17s for summer and 16" General Altimax Arctics on steelies which will go on in Dec. The Generals Altimax line's performance matches the Camry's needs just fine.
grin2.gif

I want a brand name.
I want a UTG of greater than 600.
I want a reasonable price and usually find that on Amazon or, if the situation/price is right, I'll buy a set of new take-offs.
I find it hard to buy a tire based on noise, if I've never had that tire before. My truck/cars is 2wd and run hwy type tread only.

Performance (water and snow, during years 3+. I will never replace tires less than 6 years old merely due to age, and have never had a traction related accident (or any accident in decades). However I DO usually replace tires due to age before the tread is gone. I have a great location where I seldom put on 8K mi a year.

Price and Mileage, they're sort of the same thing unless you plan to sell the vehicle before the next set of tires, but a preference towards price because I don't want to be locked into the same brand or deal with a mileage warranty, but I won't buy a tier-C brand made in China.

Noise, though the amount of noise I'd find objectionable would only be found on mud or studded tires. I've no problem with the noise from my all terrain tires.

Looks, I dislike tires that have extra rubber molding part way down the sidewalls because it requires a fair amount of time with a stiff brush to clean, unless it is really substantial so it offers better mud or snow traction. Otherwise, the tread pattern is about the optimization towards its best use. No one tread pattern is best at everything, though if price is no object, Michelin often makes the best trade offs for all season tires, for the "average" daily driver.

Last edited:
Quality first. I won't by off-name china brands.
Mileage/price
Dry and wet performance. Snow/ice isn't an issue.
Noise. Never had a "noisy" tire but I've driven next to a few folks with tires so noisy that I had to roll the window up.
Looks. I don't care what it looks like.

I would go for pricing, it doesn't need to be cheap but not like 30% over the second most expensive.

It needs to fresh, within 6 to 9 months.

Good traction.

Treadwear 280 and above is ok but ideally 450 and above. I've seen some at 180.

Noise doesn't matter.

If there's a choice after all these criteria, I'll look at thread design

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back