Does Fuel Dilution Leave Oil After Cause Resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recent thread about the Honda 1.5L fuel dilution problems got me thinking, if the cause is resolved by a TSB action, will the fuel vaporize out of the oil i.e. "boil off" or will it remain until next oil change? If the latter is the case, shouldn't an oil change be part of any repair or re-programming that fixes the fuel dilution problem?

Fuel does vape out of oil, whether it does this completely before the next change (no, but it may reduce) depends on the amount the problem was fixed and how long till the next oil change, and especially how many continuous miles you put on it warmed up instead of short tripping. Think of it like a half life, the less fuel there is, the longer it will take the rest to vape out.

If you think the dilution is excessive, change the oil. Oil is not expensive.

Last edited:
The Honda TSB does include an oil (but not filter) change, so that tells you something. At the same, while the TSB seems to improve cabin heat (its other objective) I have seen no evidence that it actually reduces fuel dilution.

todays fake synthetic group III oils are cheap, engines are NOT + if using a xxw20 i would go to an xxw30 for added protection as it thins!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back