Wax recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all..

just purchased a 2019 Acura MDX with 5300 miles on it.

Looking around at all the different types of automotive wax can be confusing. I want to get a good coat of quality wax on the car soon; at least the front bumper area and wanted to see what you folks may recommend.

Thanks

Any wax that is applied regularly will work, including gimmicky ones like Nu Finish.

But the key here is REGULARLY. At least twice a year if not 3x or 4x.

Don't trust the durability claims. If the vehicle is daily driven and washed regularly then the wax will wear down.

It depends on how much effort you want to put on your new Acura. Congrats by the way.

I would consider a sealant. They typically have better durability than wax. You could apply a sealant twice a year for example. The durability will depend on a lot of factors. Is the car garaged? Climate exposure is another.

Lots of good products out there. Griots, Jescar to name a couple. Autogeek and Autopia are good websites to check out.

In between a twice yearly application you could use a spray wax, applying it as you dry to speed up the process.

Another very important part of the process is the washing and the tools you use. Use good quality microfiber. The Rag Company is a great online source for that.

Also very much agree with Reddy45. In my opinion there is no magical thing out there that you only apply once. I have been happy with Chemical Guys Jet Seal at the start of the year and using a good wax as a topper and maintenance item throughout the year.

I agree with everyone so far but with it being a new car I'm siding with PimTac. I'd go the sealant route. Super easy.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
Hi all..

just purchased a 2019 Acura MDX with 5300 miles on it.

Looking around at all the different types of automotive wax can be confusing. I want to get a good coat of quality wax on the car soon; at least the front bumper area and wanted to see what you folks may recommend.

Thanks

What is your preferred method of application?

If by hand, I'd suggest something in the spray liquid form, e.g. Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax.

If by machine, I'd suggest something in the liquid or paste form, e.g. Meguiars Ultimate (liquid) Wax or Surf City Garage Barrier Reef (paste) Wax.

Regardless of which one you go with, I would recommend getting some Wax-as-U-Dry in the spray form, e.g. Eagle 1 Spray Wax or Lucas Spray Wax (in the blue bottle). Use it after every car wash before you dry the car off.

That last part hinges upon the assumption you will be washing it yourself and manually drying it, every so often. If you don't plan on washing it yourself, skip the Wax-as-U-Dry part.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Any wax that is applied regularly will work, including gimmicky ones like Nu Finish.

But the key here is REGULARLY. At least twice a year if not 3x or 4x.

Don't trust the durability claims. If the vehicle is daily driven and washed regularly then the wax will wear down.

+1

I've liked Nu Finish mixed with Meguiars Paint Protect. Mixing helps to make it spray-able. (I just like the spray-able synthetic waxes.) I don't overdo it; easy on and off. I try to do it 4 times a year.

If you love your vehicle, wax it once a month.
If you like your vehicle, wax it every 3 months.
If you are lazy, wax it once or twice a year.

There's quite a hype of spray on/ spray off ceramic waxes lately. Any will suffice even for the laziest of folks and work decently.

This is the combo I use. I like it, but I'm sure there are many other products that work just as well or better.
[Linked Image]

If you don't plan on falling down the rabbit hole completely and want to just hang your legs off the edge, I would recommend a good All In One wax / sealant, applied semi-regularly.

Something like Griot's One-Step Sealant or Meguiar's 3 in 1 Wax (which is actually a polymer sealant) will keep your paint in top shape and offer lasting protection. They're also easy to find.

Griot's One-Step Sealant:
[Linked Image]

Meguiar's 3-in-1 Wax:
[Linked Image]

It may seem like overkill, but I've had great success applying spray-on "sealers" after every wash, after having applied a durable wax.

I applied Meguiars Ultimate paste wax, and after every wash, I apply Renny Doyle's Bead Maker, or Torque Detail as a drying aide. Taking this small extra step during cleaning eliminates the need to keep re-applying coats of wax, as the paint never stops beading water.

As a side note, Torque Detail gives an exceptional shine. I snapped this pic after I used it the first time.

Mustang.jpg

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
There's quite a hype of spray on/ spray off ceramic waxes lately. Any will suffice even for the laziest of folks and work decently.

+1

Super easy to apply and seem to be decent. Easy enough to reapply regularly.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Originally Posted by ZebRuaj

+1

Super easy to apply and seem to be decent. Easy enough to reapply regularly.

+1

I've been using Mother's CMX on the Atlas exclusively since I bought it and love the candy look it gives the metallic paint. Water seems to be afraid of it!

Thought this was interesting. The detail he goes into to see how long it takes to get the coating to fail is amazing.

Originally Posted by painfx
If you love your vehicle, wax it once a month.
If you like your vehicle, wax it every 3 months.
If you are lazy, wax it once or twice a year.

If you are ?? wax it once a year or every other year?

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
It may seem like overkill, but I've had great success applying spray-on "sealers" after every wash, after having applied a durable wax.

I applied Meguiars Ultimate paste wax, and after every wash, I apply Renny Doyle's Bead Maker, or Torque Detail as a drying aide. Taking this small extra step during cleaning eliminates the need to keep re-applying coats of wax, as the paint never stops beading water.

As a side note, Torque Detail gives an exceptional shine. I snapped this pic after I used it the first time.

The driveway cracks need repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back